Author Topic: URAC/Heat  (Read 2089 times)

PeteDavis

URAC/Heat
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:08:28 am »
I am getting ready to glue up a Rudder R/D hickory/boo kit. Using a simple R/D form, and pre-bending all the pieces for several days prior.

I am going to use the URAC glue, and the shrink wrap method of glue-up.

As regards heat, I thought I might wrap the entire glue-up in black plastic, and set it out in a long box covered in cellophane to heat in the Virginia sun for a day. Tis the season, the longest day will be 6-21-09 so I am getting ready now. Once cured, I'll let everything sit in a cool place for a few days before I unwrap.

Does URAC like a good heat? I understand heated cures with this adhesive withstand heat better as a finished product.

If I monitor, what is a good target temp? I am not going to build an oven for this.

PD

Offline Kent D.

Re: URAC/Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:34:06 am »
I am not real familure with Urac but I believe it will cure at lower temps.  Like I said, not sure.  Im sure someone else will know better.  But what i do know is that you can generate some good heat with a solar oven.  I have baked Smoothon in a car, with the windows up out in the Texas sun.  The day time temps in the car reached 140 degrees F for most of the day. 

The car was an old junker parked in a field.  Made a good bow oven ;).

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:39:42 am »
I have used Urac for the last 13 years on over 100 bows. No need to put it in the sun in black plastic, it will cure just fine at any temp over 70 degrees. Takes 8 hours at 70 degrees and on hour at 100 degrees, reaches maximum strength 48 hours after curing.

PeteDavis

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:51:48 am »
Thanks Eric ( and burnie). PD

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:07:13 am »
yes, it likes heat. It will sure speed up the curing process. Not sure it changes the over all out come after its cured though....At 70 degree's it takes longer than 8 hours to fully cure in my experience. I'd say more like 24 at room temp and a minimum of 3 hours above 100 in a heat box....I've had troubles with it if you try to rush it. I use a heat box with 3 100 watt light bulbs and I leave them in there all night most of the time now and take it out in the morning. It's better to be safe than sorry. I hate losing a project I have that much time in because I tried to rush the curring process.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »
i did my last 2 glue ups (also my first 2) using urac. i have a heat box that gets to about 125 degrees. i left it in there overnight (like probably 7 hours) and in the morning when i took it out the glue was well cured. it was easy to do, and since i was sleeping i didnt notice the time lapse. i would strongly suggest doing the most practical heat, for the most practical time available. no need to short change your self and do it half a**ed. JMO. if youve got something that your doing, you might as well do it right and not have to worry about it not comming out.

on a side note. i did my handle glue up at just above room temperature (like probably 75 degrees) and left it overnight, and in the morning it still wasnt rock hard like the other. i waited untill that night to take it out of the clamps. just a little something for comparisson.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.