Author Topic: Selecting Ipe Boards  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Selecting Ipe Boards
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »
I'm going to be going by a hardwoods store here in a few days and I was hoping to pick up a few ipe boards. I haven't ever made a board bow before so i'm not sure what to look for. I read the bowyers bible chapter on boards but would that apply to ipe? I thought you couldn't see the grain or growth rings in it. So what exactly do you look fo?
SW Utah

Offline jr 56

Re: Selecting Ipe Boards
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:50:06 pm »
I have bought one ipe 4"x4". I think they are sometimes used for decking posts. The grain is very tight and hard to see. Make sure it is clean and the price is right. I sectioned the post 4 ways and backed all of the bows with hickory. Watch out for the dust, it is not good for you!

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:54:57 pm »
if your backing the bow, with ipe you probably are, grain isnt really an issue. a good boo or hickory backing will keep everything together. just look for clean wood without too much really light grain. (from what i heard its much softer same as osage) some board warp for already set in reflex cant hurt either.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:02:40 pm »
So I just look for dark clean wood? Growth rings and grain aren't really going to matter? And I was planning on backing it with boo.
SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:07:09 pm »
The way I choose ipe is the same as the way I choose any other board for a bow.  Some ipe has wild/wavy grain and it can lead to hinges and failures.  Make sure the grain is as straight as possible...and if you can't find a good ipe board (even if you know you will be backing it), then use another type of wood.   JMO. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 06:24:54 pm »
My experience with Ipe is you can't see growth rings, I'm not sure they are there. As for grain, well you can see it if you wipe it with a wet rag, but it is still hard to see. When backing I think it is inconsequential.

BTW you wont find Ipe for sale here in town. I have a piece cut for you in my garage and the boo to go with it.  ;) Call me tomarrow morning. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

nickf

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:54:30 pm »
boo is an excelent backing and will probably hold it together, but a straight grain will surely make it alot easier to work with, ie reduce the chance of tearouts.

Nick

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 06:55:28 pm »
A lot of Ipe looks like a normal board with defined rings, pipe straight with perfectly clean grain..Others won't have any ring lines, will have wavy sections which can be problems or small knots which can collapse since the surrounding wood is so dense. Often wood sold as Ipe isn't, and there are over 100 known species of the Tabebuia Ipe , or Lapacho tree so when you have used one shade of this wood..

You are just getting started ;)

Clean straight grain is my first priority and flat sawn is my second, but I have made many backed bows which were edge grain that performed the same as flat sawn..

Rich

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:10 pm »
i've found little knots in ipe that sometimes like to crack & crush, but they've been easy to patch & the patches seem to hold.