Author Topic: Dangit! If I had much hair, I'd pull it out!  (Read 6675 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Dangit! If I had much hair, I'd pull it out!
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:24:16 pm »
It seems every time I get a nice big blade started...one little light tap anywhere near the end and it just falls in half >:(
  I don't mean a hard lick either, just tipping the edge.  Both times it's happened to me today it was on something I could have easily removed with pressure. ??? The first time it happened, I was just holding the piece up in the air. The second time I had the whole length laying on my leg.  TINK!...two pieces! I think I'm gonna start sticking some of them Limb Savers on them. You know, those rubber mushrooms them guys stick on compound bow limbs to dampen vibration. ;D
 I did manage to get one finished. It's not as big as the other would have been, but I'll do.
 I think I'll go mow the yard :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

PeteDavis

Re: Dangit! If I had much hair, I'd pull it out!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »
nice snydereeni sir

hornstone or georgetown?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:33 pm »
Thanks Pete.  It's, I believe what they call "Kentucky Blue".  Really just a type of Sonora. It all came from the same place. ;)
 If it seems like everything I make is out of Sonora...It's because it is.  That's all I have. :-\
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:14:02 pm »
  Nice Snyder, If you can do the same thing pressure flaking, Why beat on it?It's kinda like when you were a teenager with your first girl. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:19:02 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:31:15 pm »
Hey Shannon, Thats a heck of a nice looking snyders. What kind of a hound are ya keep there. Not by chance a sooner hound, sooner eat an lay around on the porch than do anything else.:>} Must have been the weather yesterday, I broke a obsidian blade 3 differnt times on the same point before I finally give it up, broke just the tip off twice an finally broke it in half. Ughhhhhh. Later Bob

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:07 pm »
Bob, that's "Elmer". He's a Bassett hound.  I should have named him "Worthless".
 I've got a big red Bloodhound too. His name is "Clifford".  They're both worthless, but I love 'em anyway.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »
  I'm like Bob, I made two nice on the shaft points yesterday and broke 3 today.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 11:05:35 pm »

Shoot Shannon, I can't even percussion flake, and have yet to make a long blade, by flaking.  I have tried, and wound up with a couple of bird points.   ;D  I have finally made a point bigger than before, but I didn't do all of it.  It is a partially flaked piece of glass dinner plate, that Eddie gave me with some stuff in a bucket of rock. I ended up with a about a three inch, from tip to base of stem, and about three inches across from barb to barb.  It is a triangular shape.  Biggest thing I have mad yet.  Man I look at some of these knives and other large points, and just gape.   I hope to get some Coastal Plains chert, next week.  I am going up to Ga. to visit some Friends.  One of them is about a half hour from the Flint River.  I hope to be able to fill my truck up with as much as it will hold.  I am going out to Montana in July, when I get back from Ga. and I will see if I can find some agate out there.  Nice point.  Wish I could do that kinda work. :(

Wayne

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »
Nice looking effort Sannon.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Timo

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:18:53 pm »
Very nice point Shannon. ;)

Support,support bro..... The shock wave travels weird sometimes,I used to end snap lots ,but now I have learned to stop and think....support. I doit with my lil finger under the point and my others fingers over before hitting the ends. helps in most cases.

Buttttttttt,I still snap my share.   My fav quote for knapping is..."Some days" ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
That's a beautiful point Shannon! They don't always come out he way we plan >:(.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 11:40:47 pm »
I guess I'm just paying my dues. :-\  But man is it frustrating!
 I figure as long as my rock holds out, I'll keep trying.  The positive side of it is that most times I can still get a hunting point out of one, or both halves. ;D  That's really all I set out to do anyway...make hunting points. 
 But after you make one 3" long, you want one 4", then 5" etc, etc.  What fun is there in doing something you know you can do.
 Maybe I need to go the other way.  You know, see how small  I can make one. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 11:52:44 pm »
"But after one 3" long, you want one  4"  Then 5", etc., etc.  Man, sounds like my wife. Just make some and go hunting. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:03:29 am »
For some reason, I kinda expected that from you ;D