Author Topic: First rock run.  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Easternarcher

First rock run.
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:54:13 pm »
I drove around to the various creeks around here and picked up a few quartzite knobs. They were fairly small but I took 'em anyways. Sorry no pics of those. Found a couple of pinkish ones too!
Anyhow, this rock was looking very out of place in the water at the first stop, so I wacked it a bit. I'm fairly sure it'll knap from what I know, as the insides was very smooth and kinda like hard putty. Greyish inside and lighter outside. Anybody know what it may be, or if I should cook it first before trying? Do I spall it before cooking or do the whiole thing at once?
Thanks...sorry these really don't show it like I see it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:57:27 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: First rock run.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 12:16:57 am »
I don't know what that is. Kinda resembles some of that Rhyolite I picked up at the Classic last year but don't think that's what it is. If I had it, I'd probably try cooking some of it to see if it helped.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:56:48 am »
Not sure where you are from, but it looks like rhyolite.Also not sure about cooking it.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:13:02 pm »
Not sure where you are from, but it looks like rhyolite.Also not sure about cooking it.

I'm from the East Coast-Canada....Southern New Brunswisk precisely.  I figured this rock was not from that place where I found it, maybe washed down in the spring or something, but I did not find any others like it after walking 1/2 mile of creek.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:59:19 pm »
That looks like silicious limestone, quite a bit of it near here in eastern TN. It'll knap with wood or antler, good for big points and tools, but hard to get anything small or detailed out of it. If you have that, there's probably chert somewhere around.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 04:07:05 pm »
That looks like silicious limestone, quite a bit of it near here in eastern TN. It'll knap with wood or antler, good for big points and tools, but hard to get anything small or detailed out of it. If you have that, there's probably chert somewhere around.

Yah, this area is known to hold more than one aboriginal site, so I figure there's decent rock somewhere here. Well, I'm gonna try this stuff too and see what happens.