Author Topic: Shadow knapper  (Read 3278 times)

Offline TRACY

Shadow knapper
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:14:43 am »
Picked up some good rock at Eric's knap in a couple of weeks ago in Southern Indiana and found time this weekend to work with it. I really like the Cobden. My son decided to pressure flake some waste flakes from the pile and made some small points that he wants to try on small game. I think they are heat treated burlington that I bought at the Classic. I'm hoping his learning curve isn't as slow and flat as mine and he can teach me how to knap some good points ;D

Tracy

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jaeger

Re: Shadow knapper
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22:43 am »
good start, give him time it will come if you got the patience to stick with it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:24:15 am »
never too young to get them addicted eh ;) :) Nice points :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:27:24 am »
Wish I'd had the bug that young, woulda been a master by now :). I think them'll taka a rabbit ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:27:08 am »
That is a lucky youing man to start that young ,i did not know what I was missing till I was middle aged .LOl  I cant imagine what kind of knapper he will be when he gets old.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »
Way to go,I think a little fella like that needs something to do were the goals can be as near or far as he wants to make them.I find that the younger folks like looki' at my points more than anyone,they still have a imagination and curiosity that gets lost in the day to day as we get older
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »
That's cool, Tracy. Looks like he's got the knack for it, give him a little while and he'll be crankin' em out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 10:29:12 pm »
 Tracey, that is cool. Be sure and save those two points so he can compare them 10 years later. Now he needs a couple of little nicks in those hands. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
I sure wish I would have had someone to show me  at that young age. Looks like he's already hooked an doin a good job. Better double your rock supply. :>}}    Later Bob

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:39:06 pm »
Awesome. It does your heart good to see your children taking up hobbies you enjoy. My son can put some nice serations in a left over flake. Keep him interested. I hope my son will stick with it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 11:42:17 am »
He's a quick learner. He's really interested in making his own gear. I already pointed him to my band aid supply Eddie :D. Yeah, I'm kind of envious of being introduced to all of this at a young age. Thanks for the comments

Tracy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »
Very cool,good looking points and a fine looking young man to boot. I know you are proud. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »
Hey Tracy, was your son at the classic, he looks familiar. His name isn't Joseph is it? I knapped at the classic with a young guy looked just like him.
VB

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 08:50:11 am »
Mark it wasn't him. He wanted to come but didn't want to sacrifice his perfect attendance at school. Must be more like his mom >:D

Tracy