Author Topic: ash self bow  (Read 14455 times)

Offline mox1968

ash self bow
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:21:15 pm »
here is my 2nd bow attempt.ash self bow 68" 48lb @28".has a twist in lower limb but shoots fine .let me know what you think
thanks
john

Offline mox1968

Re: ash self bow
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:24:02 pm »

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:07:57 pm »
lookin good!!  i love working with ash.  it makes a super light in the hand bow.  If i my be so bold, yours needs to bend a little closer to the fades.  You'll notice it will be faster even if you lose a little draw weight.  ash is so light the whole limb really needs to work to make it fast and durable.  Just my opinion. i may not be seeing the whole picture. ;D  The bow looks great though.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:10:58 pm »
Yes, it does look great. Congratulations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »
Looks nice...I love Ash....but..........I may be supercritical here....but here goes.......to me it looks like the Handle Section is too long and there is a lot of non-moving wood just out of the Fades on both Limbs....if it were My Bow (which it isn't!) I would have all of this Wood working for Me....if you are worried about losing any weight....flip the Tips a Bit to help out....and heat treat the Belly too....just my opinion....I may be Wrong
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:21:53 pm »
.......to me it looks like the Handle Section is too long and there is a lot of non-moving wood just out of the Fades on both Limbs....if it were My Bow (which it isn't!) I would have all of this Wood working for Me....

very nice, but I think the same as El D
Frank from Germany...

Offline mox1968

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:10:19 pm »
thanks guys ,I appreciate the advice.was thinking maybe I,d made the handle too long too when I put in the arrow rest there is a lot of space before the fades too.I am quite pleased with it though Im definately hooked now!!making bows is very addictive!!!!The wife thinks Im losing it locking myself away in the shed for hours.....

Offline redwasp

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:27:27 pm »
I would say nice job on your second bow. Keep at it and your wife will be begging you to go to the shed like mine does. She knows It makes me easier to get along with. >:D
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:49:28 pm »
Good looking bow, that design makes a sweet shooter. How wide are the limbs? I agree that it could start working sooner out of the fades. but it also looks far and above better than my second bow. Good job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13:54 pm »
I am also curious on the width and design of the limbs.  I plan on starting an ash this winter, I have drying right now.

Good looking bow you got there.
Westminster, MD

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:48:36 pm »
The ring lines on that bows back,concern me a bit.I would suggest a backing,to increase the chance of survival.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »
I just noticed that too, Traxx. mox, i take it you made the bow from a board. There's some info on board choice on my site. Straight grained boards are needed. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mox1968

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 05:12:36 am »
hillbilly the bow is 2" at the fades and tapers down to 1/2" at the nocks.I used a small piece of mahogany at the nocks too as an overlay.Yes george the bow was made from a board and I did intend on backing it ,I got a big CHUNK! of ash from a sawmill about 8ft long and 2" thick by about 12" wide and just ripped it down into 1" thick "staves".I ended up with 7 staves and intended on backing all of them.When I got as far as tillering this one I liked the look of the rings and after dying thought I,d see how it went.I burnished the back hard with a shaft of a screwdriver and gave it 6 layers of polyurathane varnish hoping that would be enough.The good thing is the wood cut up to give another 6 chances to improve my bowyering and I have got myself some nice hickory backing and bamboo backing for my next 2 attempts.Heres a pic of the chunk of wood I started out with.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 05:53:39 am »
Sweet looking bow,love the color. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mox1968

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:38 am »
just thought Id add to get the colour I used a rosewood wood dye.