Author Topic: red jasper  (Read 3511 times)

AKAPK

red jasper
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »
Is Red Jasper usable as a point material?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:54:41 pm by AKAPK »

Offline DanaM

Re: reed jasper
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:22:10 pm »
Never tried it but to my knowledge it is :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:03 pm »
Looks like some potential in that jasper.  I cut my teeth on jasper cause that is a common material where I grew up just east of Yellowstone.  Its like anything else, there are different qualities and sometimes a good sized piece that is not already fractured is hard to find.  We had "Sheepeaters" in this country and they prefered agates and jaspers mainly because that was the local material and they were gem qauality knappers!  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
jasper is great stuff..if cooked right..in the world of jasper there is a wide veriaty...and they all cook at differant temps...now,you dont have to cook it..but i have only seen a handle full of people chip it raw...out here in oregon i call it oregon chert...i might be wrong about that....john

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:10 am »
This Peice is about 2/1/2 by 2 inches I found it on the bank of the eel river in Rio dell cali The only one I could find as dark red as this one. Don't know what the Silver color is.

Offline stickbender

Re: red jasper
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:06:43 am »

Antimony? ;)  There is an Antimony mine in Thompson Falls.  Lead?  Or......Silver?

Wayne

AKAPK

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »
Antimony, Hmm never new it existed sounds like alimony ::)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:44:12 pm »

It's used in wheel weights, coins and a bunch other stuff.  No not as painful as alimony......but it is used or was used in coins, so their might be some antimony in alimony...... ;D

Wayne

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:05:07 am »
Antimony is also used in fireworks-plastics-fire retardant and a component of pewter. Used to be used in lead batteries and bullets as a hardener for the lead.
I worked in an antimony mine near home for 10 years in the 80's and 90's. Engineering.

Native antimony is almost like powdered carbon or graphite.smudges on the skin. Very crumbly.