Author Topic: montana stone?  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

montana stone?
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »
while on the previous subject of finding stone, since i am moving to central  montana soon, anyone know of any good stone that might be found in the area. on know there are some agates around, but i dont know where to look, and also i dont know how spall-able it is, i am not really into slabs.  but what color stone should i be looking for and what color are the aboriginal points in that area?  i know there is some quartzite in the mountains although i dont have a whole lot of interest in that.  any ideas?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Blacktail

Re: montana stone?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »
i think Montana is a hard state to find lithic stone...i have looked for some time and really didnt find much....i did find this..there is a rock called porcelainite...that is in central MT...that i have seen jim miller on flintknappers.com chip it...and the other rock is Montana moss agate....but,i have only seen it in slabs...and i come from southern MT...and there is some chert around dillion MT...BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH....i have gotten ahold of a geologist in Missoula MT and he sent me some maps of some ares to find rock..but last year they went into the trash...i hope this might help..john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:51:49 pm »
 There is some nice black Jade there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »
AHHHHH,black jade...i wonder what that looks like...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:57:55 am »
     T.L. ;
     Don't forget obsidian.  There is an extinct volcano that has blown out the side of the mountain, in the Mission Range, right now I can't think of the town, it is not too far from flat head lake, and there is a national waterfowl refuge there.  I was with a Friend of mine, hunting pheasants there.  I will have to dig out the map, and take a look. I will put it on this site.  I am heading out there next week, for a month.  When are you heading out, and where will you be staying?  I will be going to Thompson Falls.  About 11 miles from the Idaho border, not too far from Cour D'alene.  Murray, is the closet Idaho town. Mullet I was told to look in the Clark fork river, which runs through Thompson falls, for Agate.  Where do you find the black jade you were talking about?  I hope i do better than I did in Ga.  T.L. I think the town I am thinking of with the blown out volcano, is in Ronan.  Should be some obsidian, near Yellowstone also.  There is lots of quartzite around Thompson Falls, but like you I am not interested in that.  I can barely make anything out of the good stuff.!  ;D I might use it for a hammer stone, but that is about it.

Wayne

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:00:04 am »
HEy twisted limbs,

If you're moving to Montana, make sure you buy a really BIG suitcase, and come pick me up on the way out to Montana .  I LOVED living out west.  It's awesome, and I'd love to move back out there if I could find a decent job out there.  Just bring lots of stone with you, and I'm sure you could use some bottle bottoms until you locates some stone out there. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:47:59 am »
You won't be that far from where Mike Huston and I live as the crow flies.  Will have to get together.  You will be just north of the park and we are south!  The natives used jaspers, obsidian, agate, and petrified wood for their main materials around Yellowstone.  Some flints from the Dakotas was traded and also used.  Montana moss agate was and is the stone of choice for jewelry makers.  When they slab it, they always cut it to thin for good points.  You might change your mind about agate slabs when you have a quality stone as making a debit pile of it is a down right waste.  It can be cooked at 350 degrees in the oven!  The greatest concentration is in the hills and streams around Forsythe but some can be found other places.  It takes a fair sized piece to spall as it fractures fairly easily.  The park has a low grade of obsidian compared to the buttes or Idaho black!  I really like jasper for hunting points and it can be found most places around Montana.  Clark Fork river has quite a bit of it but takes some work to find!  If you are going thru North Dakota on you way out you might find some flint!  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »
 I have a few pieces left,lots of colors,not the best but it will work.

Here is a red colored porceilinite. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:47:30 pm »
That red porceiinite is some pretty stone . it looks like it is used on something lol
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano