Author Topic: Water bag..???  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Chad Bower

• ~Odins' wisdom ,Thors' strength , Freyas' love.~
Water bag..???
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:15:23 am »
Im looking for a primitive water bag. I dont need anymore plastic bottles . Any ideas ?
~ 45,000 years ago the bow was invented. The bow is the history of mankind.~

Don't just exsist  , live , everyday to the fullest.

Chad "Wolf Among Dogs" Bower

Offline DanaM

Re: Water bag..???
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:42 am »
Birch Bark will make a primitive canteen, use pine pitch and split spruce roots to sew it. Also the stomach from a deer would work :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:34:37 am »

Birch bark is a great material to cook with also.  The Indians would fold the corners, put a peg through them, and they would have a seamless trough to cook out of, and ladle out the food.  They could also sew sticks along the sides, and ends,to give it some dimensional strength, and it could be lifted off the coals. Great for cooking wild rice, musrooms, and duck!  Mmmmm! 8) you can also use a gourd, but be sure to clean it out really well.  The skin like lining is supposed to bad for the health, as is the dust.  I guess you could melt some bees wax, or parafin, and coat the inside after cleaning.  But I have seen pictures of gourd canteens, powder horns, shot holders, etc.   ;)  Plastic bottles?  Hey, what's a little pcb's in your water, with a little chlorine, and some heavy metals......Actually a third eye could come in handy......You could check your compass, while scanning the horizon for deer...... ;)  Some of the ancients also used dried bladders, from pigs, deer, and such.  The Eskimos used dried walrus bladders, to make a very light weight rain coat.  They would cut, and sew them into nifty little translucent coats.  I saw one in a museum in Melbourne, Fla.  I had a Friend of mine, bring me back a Bota, from Spain, when I was in the Army, and stationed in Italy, that I used for some time, and finally the plastic tip started to deteriorate, and I was going to put in a wooden plug, and noticed that what I had been told was true.  The Bota was made from horse hide.  The hair was still on it, and on the inside!  Well, I didn't use it any more.  I promptly put it in the trash.  I think the Apaches, used horse intestines for canteens.  Same deal, scrape, and dry.  Anyway, there is a host of other materials you can use.  Or you could just get a big mouth full, after drinking all you can, and walk around " wit da cheeks all bowed out, eh? " ;D

Wayne

Offline Chad Bower

• ~Odins' wisdom ,Thors' strength , Freyas' love.~
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:20:54 pm »
Thanks guys...maybe a third eye would help....its a thought ! I have a newer bota bag..maybe just stick with that for now ..
~ 45,000 years ago the bow was invented. The bow is the history of mankind.~

Don't just exsist  , live , everyday to the fullest.

Chad "Wolf Among Dogs" Bower

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:47:24 pm »
Nanny Goat Udder..or even them big Thanksgiving Holiday Gourds make a great water container
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome