Author Topic: dugout  (Read 8966 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
dugout
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:11:43 am »
doing a half dugout for an indoor exhibit. this one was started with chainsaw kerfs to save time. burning the whole thing is actually better. that way the wood burns to a more natural shape. chainsawing saves some time but the burn doesnt work as well. when these two projects are done ill be burning out a 12 footer for myself. this one is pine mine will be tulip. the tulip one will be coming from a large tree we dropped to harvest bark for the longhouse.

fanning the flames

scraping out the char with a fire hardened stick

shaping the nose

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

radius

Re: dugout
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:18:52 am »
pretty cool stuff, man...you on vacation?

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:45:59 am »
nope. Work all day then work on projects when i can
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »
shaped the nose some more today but quit early.

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »
 Jamie, It seems most of the older dugouts down here were made from pine. A fire was built around the tree till it fell, thus , not having to chop a big tree down with stone tools. And then it was worked with hot coals and stone adze's. The heat also hardened and helped waterproof it sealing the resin. It makes more sense to me the stone tools were used to scrape and chop the burned, softened wood than chopping hard pine or cypress. And after that, it would have took just elbow grease to take sand and water and "wet sand"the soot  and smooth the inside.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:53:28 am »
pretty much the same technique i use. Stones arent needed. Shells, bone, and stone work but the stick is the eastiest. Aside from time the primitive way is the best method. The burn is more natural and even. With the saw i have to be much more careful not to burn out the walls.

waterbury, ct

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »
I don't really have time for another new project but you got me looking for a log. That looks cool!!! How thick do you leave the walls, and do you season the wood first?

Trey

Offline jamie

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 06:10:53 am »
trey the finished walls should be about 1 1/2"- 2" thick. letting the log lose some moisture is a good idea. but you'll never get all the moisture out of something that big anyway. nice thing about these projects is the fire does all the work. you just need to add wood and check the burn.

waterbury, ct

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »
Great project Jamie, I've been looking for a log to do one too. Do you have trouble with the fire making the wood check where you dont want it to, like on the ends or the bottom?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
some checking will occur but most dont go deep enough to effect its ability to float. the one at the museum has cracks that go to the waterline on its bow. you just have to distibute your weight and it stil has no problem.

waterbury, ct

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 11:06:37 pm »
Thanks for the info Jamie, I wonder if you could fill any cracks with pitch or maybe a clay and grass mix? I may have more questions for you if I ever find a log and get started on one.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline jamie

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 05:35:05 am »
pitch, wood shavings. what ever you can think up can be used. told me he fills the cracks with sticks. and pitch and then burns it again. says you can barely tell its a patch job. yet to see it though

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:32:10 am »
Jamie, there has been a recent find of a dugout in I believe ark? Not sure,but I have seen pics and the cahokia mounds bought it and have it submerged in acetone or something to preserve the wood. (3 years ) 20' plus and very cool! They used a stone adze similar to the one you posted on your other thread to chip it out.extremely fine work. cypress.

Haven't found the link to the pics yet, but I know they are out there.

Enjoy all your doings. Really like you long house. ;)

Offline jamie

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 12:20:54 pm »
thanks tim . i'll see if i can find it.

waterbury, ct

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:27 pm »
A breechclout and leggins and different hat and that picture would be taken from time cool project
       Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's