Author Topic: Chipping with a friend.  (Read 2359 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Chipping with a friend.
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:39:42 am »
I had a friend come by with a couple of Pekin ducks that he did not want anymore.  When he got here I was knapping some and he joined in.  I tried to get him to use some of the bigger spalls that I had, but he said he did not want to mess them up.  Here are the nine that he came up with.

While I was trying to explain percussion and pressure flaking to him, I managed to knock out a few myself.

Turkeytail gone bad.

More dacite and some white glass that was an old gravy bowl in a past life.

Some Pedernales that I was playing with.  The smallest point was one of the thinning flakes that was already too thin, so i just touched up the edges.

I got another biface done too.  I don't know what teh light colored spots are called, but they are a pain to push a flake through.  It seems a little thick, but I am not hitting it again.

Thanks for looking.

Offline cracker

Re: Chipping with a friend.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:58 am »
Looks like He's ready for the bigger pieces. By the way that looks like my hand with the scar in the middle of the palm.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:31:12 am »
Nice lookin stuff
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:48:52 am »
Looks like the friend catches on quick! Them points and bi-faces are looking good too - those white inclusion's are usually called concrete and don't like to cooperate.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline madcrow

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »
Yea cracker, those drill bits hurt.  I was glad that it was about dull though  If it had been sharp, it would have really dug in. 
Paul, he does catch on quick.  Now if I can just get him to work up the nerve to use a spall instead of the scraps off the floor.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:25:08 pm »
 He did good! Once he starts buying rock he won't have a problem breaking up your's :D. Also, I've touched up some of those thin, Thinning flakes, and I'm hunting with them this year. I'm not worrying what people think about what the points look like as long as they are Super sharp, this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:37 pm »
I know what you mean about touching them up.  I have a 5 gallon bucket almost full of thin flakes and some stuff that just needs a little work.  Quick, fairly easy and lethal.