Author Topic: Cane Arrows  (Read 3278 times)

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Cane Arrows
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:24 pm »
Is it ok to cut down river cane in the summer then let it season for arrows? Does cutting the cane down in the summer effect the arrows performance or durability? Also is it ok to use the yellowish cane or should i just cut dow the green cane?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane Arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:17:09 am »
As long as you are cutting 2nd year growth you'll be OK. First year growth will shrivel as it dries because it hasn't matured yet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:14:21 am »
how would a fella tell the differance tween 1st and 2nd year growth?
lets just shoot it

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:39:56 pm »
First year growth often has a sheath that covers much of the cane shaft....also there will be very little branching.  If you have any doubts, just feel the cane by bending it.  If it is flimsy, then just leave it.  The good stuff is stiff, even when green, and will make fantastic arrows.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:27:54 pm »
what about the river cane that is a yellowish color is that because of direct sunlight? Can i use that for arrows?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:51:50 pm »
im new to this too, but i dont think so. if anything they should just be closer to being dry.

but wait on a more experienced reply.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:05:15 pm »
  I like to cut the yellow bamboo more than the green. I've found that it is yellow because it is usually Sun-burned, and seems to be tougher.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:27:42 pm »
My Bamboo aint growing....I guess this Florida Boo don't like the Texas Weather either.......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:50 pm »
I think our native canes(Arundaneria) grows in 3 year life cycles. The first year the individual cane(culm) grows to its ultimate height. The second year it matures(walls thicken). After the second growing season the paper like sheath begins to deteriorate. By the 3rd growing season the culm begins to die. The color gets more olive green then. Any time after the second growing season is the time to cut the culms. If the culm begins to turn tan(in the field) don't mess with it. It is too far gone(generally). Once you harvest the cane and have allowed it to dry, a few hours in bright sunlight will turn the faded green color of the cane to tan.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 07:31:42 pm »
I cut one piece down that was a yellowish green color, more yellow than green and I brought it inside. After a day inside the house it started to turn green is that normal?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:25:32 am »
The cane I use here in California I have cut shafts that look to be dead but still standing. they made great arrows and needed no seasioning