Author Topic: Wood pack frame  (Read 9062 times)

Drew

Wood pack frame
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:37:34 pm »
I was re-reading Bows of the Little Delta and came across a picture in the first few chapters....I forgot the man's name but he sitting down and has a wooden pack frame on..

Any ideas on how to build such a frame, it was wood with lacing as the backing not canvas like the Trapper Nelson packs.

Any pics? I'd like to build one for a friend...

BillE

Re: Wood pack frame
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:41:07 am »
I think I know exactly what you are seeing. Spent a summer in the Sierras wearing one. Not that comfy when you compare it to a Kelty type. Anyway...

Try and find some 'old' (like from the 50's) "Boy Scout Field Manual." That was were I found plans to build such a critter.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Bill

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:27:33 am »
i made a small frame out of bamboo asnd the joints are wrapped with groundhog hide and shoelaces. im going to put my deerhide backpack on it and the frame will help with weight
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 04:57:04 pm »
google "Roycroft Pack"....for a home made canadian version of what you are talking about.....other than that, I haven't seen a pack frame like that in a long time.

Just had a look thru my references and realized that I did have a link for a DIY version.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1984-03-01/Make-A-Backpack.aspx

Enjoy! and let us know how it turns out.

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.