Author Topic: Flint and steel fire  (Read 6446 times)

Offline Timo

Flint and steel fire
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:49:31 pm »
First time I have ever tried this. PaulN/ KS,Fixed me up with some charred cloth and jute.Tonight I decided it was time to learn.I had my daughter take a few pics for me.This has got to be the coolest thing I have ever done.makes one feel powerful.

Fist pic show the jute,flint and steel. Then a small jute nest, the charred cloth in the nest. She never could get a pic of the spark but it is in there.The cloth catches it and holds it. Then with quick hands I picked it up, wrapping it into a tighter nest ,and began to lightly blow on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Timo

Re: Flint and steel fire
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »
Keep blowing on it and soon you will see it grow. way cool here guys......I'm still jumping up and down..look like a damn fool I tell ya. ;D

I tried to do it in the hand, but need some practice with that technique.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:27:02 pm by Timo »

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:57:41 pm »
Dbl posted that one pic...sorry, hope the mods can fix that. ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:14:59 pm »
Just go back and click Modify...then Additional Options...then find the doubled Picture...click on one to remove the check mark....then click Save....that easy....or just leave Her Be.......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:28:09 pm »
Thanks El.Now I know! ;)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:15 pm »
Cool Fire too....Dana gave me a Flint and Steel Fire Starter Kit when I was Home last year....and I can barely get a Spark....let alone a Fire going..... ;)      8)        :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:35:13 am »
That's cool Tim. I have a set but haven't had luck with it.I need to just sit down and do it until it works! ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 06:33:53 am »
Congrats Tim :) With char cloth its pretty easy to do as long as the char cloth is dry, if one little
spark lands on it it starts to glow :) Mike I will have to show how when ya get back home eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 07:45:17 am »
Gonna start collecting some natural spark catchers from my woods. I have alot of milkweed and from that I can get the ovums.(Just learned about them)Also lots of fungus living in the woods.I gotta find out which ones work. New mission in life I guess? ;D

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:57:30 am »
Very cool Timo! How many strikes did it take to ignite the char cloth? My 8 yr old son and I are slowly getting the materials to do the bow drill, can't wait.

Thanks for the pics, Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:09:53 pm »
Tim look for cracked cap polypore fungus growing on B Locust trees, not sure if
it will catch a spark but it will extend the coal. Also try finely shredded cedar bark
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Cromm

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 06:57:03 pm »
A bit of tree skin,flint and steel and in 3 mins the water is starting to boil...I love it.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
Awesome. Gonna have to try that this weekend.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:46 pm »
Lots of utube vids to watch on this. I never watched them until after I tried it.Wished I'd watched first.Lots of neat lil tricks to learn. I kinda figured out that the better the flint,and edge, the better the spark. Seems that some good quality texas rock gives me the best sparks, but also the steel has to be of good quality.

The "I gotta a lot to learn" Timo ;D

Oggie

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 08:57:47 am »
If anyone fancies learning.I run a Flint & Steel Firelighting course  ( for Charity) as part of the History Boot Camp which takes place each April near Hemel Hempstead.Heres a link
http://www.history-boot-camp.co.uk/index.html

There are some serious Safety Issues that need to be taken onboard with Flint & Steel.
The main ones are:
The Flint acts like a knife,it shaves tiny particles of steel from your striker with such friction that you see them as sparks - The Flint is also quite happy to shave your knuckles and skin!

When using Char Cloth: If you attempted to catch a spark and it has failed..ALWAYS..destroy the cloth in water..Do not dispose of it in a Bin or put it back into your Tinder pouch/tin..The tiniest spark that you cant see could easily be on the cloth ready to turn your property/person into a lovely glowing fire!

Here is a Link to a photo from the 2008 Boot Camp

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh228/Souloggie/t_firelighting_173.jpg

Best Wishes,
Mark.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:01:00 am by Ordric »