Author Topic: Question for Ex-"machine " shooters  (Read 7777 times)

Offline PeteC

Question for Ex-"machine " shooters
« on: August 12, 2009, 09:06:51 pm »
I just took a bow order for a surprise gift of a flatbow .The recipient is a big fella,and I was told he had a 31" draw.My question is; Since he is a compound shooter,what would his draw lenght most likely be with traditional equipment? Or,would you tiller to 31" to be safe?  God Bless
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:30:24 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Question for Ex-"machine " shooters
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »
I would tiller to 31".. just to be safe.. ;) Alot of guy's that make the change still keep the same form they used with the wheels..

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:51:11 pm »
Depends if he shot his compound with fingers or a release. If he used a release, his draw will likely be about 2 inches shorter. If he shot it with his fingers, you better tiller to 31". 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:51:40 pm »
I am preety sure he will try and draw it like a compound. I would tiller it out to 31 and then a little further to be sure. He will probably be standing up straight and drawing it to his ear, or close to it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:28:38 pm »
i allways go 2" shorter on switch from wheels to selfbow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 11:15:01 pm »
I shoot 31 with a wheel bow and 29 with a longbow.  I would try to hit the target weight at 29" but I would definitely tiller to 31 just to make sure it doesn't get overdrawn.  It would be nice if you could teach him a little about anchor points before he draws.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:42:48 pm »
Thanks a lot fellas.Everyone seems to be on the same page pretty much,so that's what I'll do,hit weight at 29" and tiller to 31".Thanks again .  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas