Author Topic: What to expect from a beginners course  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Phil Rees

What to expect from a beginners course
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:36:59 am »
A small group of friend and I are booking onto a beginners knapping course here in the UK with in November. Do the forum members have any advice  or reccommendations we can take with us to ensure we get the best out of the day.
Many Thanks

Offline Timo

Re: What to expect from a beginners course
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:51:25 am »
Not sure what the instructor is providing in the course,but I would take some bandaids,super glue, some light leather gloves,safety glasses,and an open mind. have fun and enjoy.

As for expectations? I wouldn't worry about coming home with a hand full of points after the first class.You will get frustrated,as knapping does have a big learning curve. Pay attention and practice what they teach. If you truly want to learn, then it will come in time.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:55:15 am »
Keep us posted on how it goes, Horace.  Better yet, post some pictures of your work as you progress. Knapping is a journey, not a destination.

I think a lot depends on your instructor and your ability as to how quickly you progress. Take a video or voice recording of your class if you can.  There is not always an instructor around to answer any questions you may have. With a recorded lesson, you could have something to refer back to, which would probably be helpful.

There are also many good instructional knapping videos on youtube.

Best of luck & enjoy!

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:36:23 am »
i would take an open mind,the desire to learn,lots of bandaids and a pair of safety glasses

i recently made the swtich from slabbed material to rocks.
most my knapping has been obsidion slabs,and doing this with rocks is completely differant
its like learning to knapp all over again.

oh ya,dont forget to take along some patience,you will need it.
this is a very rewarding,but kinda tuff thing to get the hang of.

like they say  "knapping is a hobby of tonnage"

good luck and remember  if ya aint bleeding,ya aint trying

peace,
                                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 12:01:30 pm »
If you would like a good reference book to read and study try "FLINTKNAPPING - Making and Understanding Stone Tools", by John C. Whittaker.   Watching and doing is the best way to learn but having a good reference book to study between sessions will have a positive effect on your learning curve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SiletzSpey

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:33:20 am »
... any advice or reccommendations ...

Take a notebook, take notes. If the instructor is ok with it, take some pictures and videos now and then. By day's end it will all be a blur, and you'll appreciate the records. Also don't be afraid to ask questions about anything you see. A simple question will often result in a flood of details that wouldn't have been presented otherwise.

--SiletzSpey