Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 12:42:45 am »
I don't know why everyone says boards are a good way to get started. I think they are a good way to keep going.  ;) I really enjoy building board bows. I like to experience different styles of glue-ups and profiles. It is very educational. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:24 am »
Never built a board bow ,but sure don't see anything wrong with it.Get at it and show us a bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:11:53 am »
Heck yeah, I love to make board bows. I think most of the reason is that it's ready for me, and I don't have to wait on the wood to dry. :)
Boards make wonderful bows, and like Justin said, they are great to experiment with.
As others have said, be picky. Choose the board with the straightest grain in the bunch.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Boofus

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »
Tim Baker put a tutorial on Paleoplanet.net title your first wooden bow, i wish i could have read that 15 years ago when i first started making wooden bows... i have broken many a board bow, but they are sooooo dirt cheap you can't even get mad about it! go for it! plus if anyone gives you flak over it just remind them that the lakota and also apache tribes used wood from oak or hickory barrels or wagon parts to bows out of.

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 06:18:07 pm »
Well, as soon as I can get out to get some wood to work with, I am going to get started on making my bow!  I am hoping to get good enough to make one for my wife and get her started shooting with me.  :)  Have a small area, about 10 yards that I can shoot into the back of the garage.  So I figure that is a good start for shooting my first bow!

I will post pictures as I go and will be asking lots of questions.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 06:36:40 pm »
good luck with the bow
and hey,all my backyard shooting is done at 1o yds,unless the neighbors are willing to remove their vehicles so i can
stand in their driveway then i shoot at 20 yds >:D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 07:07:45 pm »
Well, I could probably get to 30 yards if I stood at the alley, but i would be shooting towards the road, and somehow I think those guys in blue (or black) might take offense.  ;)  And it would be a downhill shot.  And I am not too good at those.

I shoot from the opening of the garage to the back of it.  That is just shy of 10 yards.

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota