Author Topic: bow exploded!!  (Read 4546 times)

Offline swimbill

bow exploded!!
« on: August 21, 2009, 03:42:49 pm »
I was working on a hickory board bow this week, it was going along fine although i came out too light.  To beef it up I added a 1/4 hickory backing and reflexed it about 3".  I worked it down to desired draw weight of 50# at 29 inches and then BANG! the backing blew off and one of the nock overlays came with it.  Thankfully I was not over it when it went.  Th bow didnt break but it now has about 4" of set on each limb.  What did I do wrong, any help would be appreciated. ??? ??? ???

Offline Dano

Re: bow exploded!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:04:59 pm »
What glue did you use?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:15:53 pm »
we need pics!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:04:48 pm »
probly would've worked better with 1/8th backing

Offline swimbill

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
Elmers carpenter glue, the yellow stuff.  Sorry no pic's yet maybe tomorrow.

radius

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »
HM... the yellow glue should'a been fine...maybe the pieces of wood weren't well mated? 

Offline swimbill

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 06:56:32 pm »
I thought they were, nothing broke could I re-glue it and gve it another try?  Maybe reduce the thickness of the backing, and not put in as much reflex.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »
Was the hickory core to wet or something? if it took that much set something is wrong.....How long did you let the glue cure before retillering? and was it exposed to any heat?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dano

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »
I'd get some Tite Bond II or III, I don't care for elmers. The wood will break before Tite Bond ever lets go.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 08:17:22 pm »
I'm with Ryan. Too much moisture. If you don't give the glue-up plenty of time to expel the moisture it received from the glue there was too much moisture in the wood. Hickory is especially susceptible to picking up and retaining moisture.
  I snake skin backed an osage bow and 2 days later, even though if felt dry, the bow had gone from 56#@26" to 40#@26" and felt and shot like a noodle. A week later, it was back to normal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:25:07 am »
shot like a noodle.
  ;D
Yeah, those foodstuff bows are useless, mind you, my Spaghetti bow is ok for hunting meatballs  O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline J05H

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 06:15:34 am »
 ;D LMAO That's great. What do you use for arrows? Breadsticks?
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 09:00:51 am »
swimbill, in my early days, I went though the same thing. Under weight bows galore! Spending hours trying to "beef" them up. All to no avail. It was my inexperience that caused them. I should have chalked it up as a learning experience and reached for another stave. LOL. That's what you should have done. That's how we learn. Forget about it and move on to another. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline swimbill

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 09:37:18 am »
it appears as if I didnt let it dry long enough, less than a day and it is humid as heck here in RI.  Thanks for the help, will start another new one.
swimbill

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 12:34:14 pm »
Looking back I see my early, underweight bows as great learning experiences.  I also like the motto "Fix em until they break!"   ( I can't remember who first proposed that phrase, sorry.)  At least one of my early bows turned out to be my best, but only after piking, recurving the tips, sinew backing and then years later, heat treating the belly, retillering  and then reworking the handle.  A twenty pound stick eventually became a stable 45# bow.  I think you should keep working on it as long as you feel you've got a chance.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers