Author Topic: how long do you hold at full draw?  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Jesse

how long do you hold at full draw?
« on: August 23, 2009, 06:37:50 pm »
When shooting years ago with my fg longbow I used to hold as long as needed and had good accuracy. Never thought about it. Then when I started making my own I heard it was bad for the bow so I started releasing right when I reached anchor. I struggled with accuracy for a couple years using the quick release method and I just switched back to holding for as long as I need. Its usually about 2 to 3 seconds at full draw sometimes more. My accuracy got way way better and I haven't noticed any ill effects on the bow. Even measured to see if it took any set and so far so good. What are your thoughts on this? Is it really hurting the bow to hold full draw for up to 5 seconds?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: how long do you hold at full draw?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:55:17 pm »
I hold for a second or 2, and that is to make sure I am anchored properly and I am on target. I used to snap shoot, but my accuracy suffered.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:21:15 pm »
just long enough to make sure it feels good to me. i am on target most of the time before i get to full draw, i put alot into looking at the spot i wana hit. to each is on, i dont think it hurts to hold a little long, if its gona break geter done that way i can make another. just my 2 cents.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:13:01 pm »
I agree with you woodstick
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »
If I understand things properly, the wood is viscoelastic.  That means your arrow speed starts to drop as you hold longer at full draw.  I always thought that was the main reason for not holding overlong. On the flip side varying your hold time significantly will cause variations in arrow speed.  The take home is consistency.  My hold time is (I think) 2-3 seconds.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:58:18 pm »
I'm the opposite. The longer I hold, the worse my accuracy gets. Most of my best shooting comes when I aim as I'm drawing and the arrow is gone as soon as my fingers touch my anchor.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:24:14 pm »
I'm finding better accuracy with no hold time.  My accuracy is worse if I am.  The best accuracy for me comes with staring down my spot as I draw and just letting it fly.  I think the hardest part is keeping my attention on that single spot during the draw consistently.  That's what practice is for, I guess.
1’—>1’

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 11:14:16 pm »
I hold my FG bows for at least 2-3 seconds after I anchor. I also shoot them about 2-3 times better too. Huh ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 11:31:08 pm »
I normally release as soon as my index finger hits the corner of my mouth. If I find myself short drawing I will purposely hold for a second or maybe two but that is only temporary until I can control my draw length.
  I believe Ron has it right. The longer you hold the less zip your bow will have.
   Jesse, aren't you shooting boo backed ipe bows. Both of those materials excel in their strengths. A selfbow would suffer more than the boo/ipe lam bow just the boo/ipe would suffer more than a glass lam bow. The main thing IMO is accuracy. If you can make a clean shot with a 3 second hold, go for it. That's how you should be shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:01 am »
I hold mine as long as I need to. The type of hunting you do has a lot to do with shooting style. I am always on the ground and I like to draw before the animal is in the shooting lane to decrease the chances of being spotted when I move. This may require holding for quite some time. I practice the way I hunt. I have yet to see any damage to the bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:56 am »
I hold just long enough to make SURE my anchor is consistent. Probably no more than a second or two. The more I run it through the grey matter, the worse it gets.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 05:47:26 am »
Touch and go. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:57 am »
I got into the habit of snap shooting with an inconsistent anchor point. So lately I've been consciously holding full draw for a second or so then releasing. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline bambule

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:08:25 am »
no hold - touch my mouth with my knuckle and FIRE
Niedersachsen, Germany

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:06 am »
What's the difference between me and a constipated Owl?
I shoot but can't hit....
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.