Author Topic: a couple new points  (Read 2312 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
a couple new points
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
after i nocked off that good flake, i set that piece asside, and with new confidence i tackled a couple other pieces. the begining spalls had some pretty big globs of stuff on em, but i was able to use my bopper to get most of that crap off. theyre still pretty thick, and im still dealling with alot of hinge fractures, but ill get there, just give me time...

anyhow like i said before, right now im not really trying to make points, just trying to practice getting good flakes. im going to considder these my first real points, because before when i tried flintknapping, all i was getting was short flakes, like 1/8", 1/4" max. and none of the points had any kind of sideways symmetry. this time around ive got a better understanding of what i need to be doing (or trying to do anyhow). partly because i did some more reading, but mostly because of the letchworth knap-in.

these points i actually did day before yesterday, and ive done a couple more smaller points since then, but i havnt got any pics of thoes yet.
please let me know what and how i can improve them.

stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: a couple new points
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:40:57 am »
Looking real nice!
 You might want to try moving your platforms closer to the edge you want to remove the flakes from. It'll get those flakes running farther across the point. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:01:37 pm »
very nice first points 8)

saw filers advise is good
now you can take my advise with a grain of salt,cause ive only been knaping for 8 months now and am self taught.
but i have found that if you get a good platform and push down real hard then pop the flake with your thighs you can learn to control
the length of the flakes(atleast a little).doing this i have been able to make flakes travel well over an inch
keep at it,and did any one tell ya how good band-aids are.
cut my self so bad last night,i am still bleeding lol(but serioulsy,i am still bleeding)

peace,
                                                                                tim
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:53:29 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:38:48 pm »
thanks guys, and ill try moving my platforms, it does make sense.

ill try the thigh thing too Tim. i have been noticing that you can definitely feel when a flake step fractures. pops nice then *crunch*...

and i found out about the band-aids. a piece of obsidian i was working on for my wife slipped last night...only went in my thumb about 1/4"....gotta love it!

Phil ~ the reformed masochist
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »
keep on keepin on ,good start!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »
oh ya
that dreaded crunch sound,i hate that sound >:(
i have noticed to that a nice flake makes a nice glassy "tink" sound when it pops off
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:31 am »
points look good to me  ;D