Author Topic: Splinter on Black Locust  (Read 1516 times)

Slew Foot

Splinter on Black Locust
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »
I just raised a splinter on the back of a black locust bow during tillering.   The growth ring is about 1/8" thick and the splinter is about 1/4" long and about as thick as two sheets of paper.  It doesn't go all the way across.  In fact it is only about 1/8" wide and starts right on the edge of the limb around 4" from the nock.  Can this be fixed by sanding it out maybe?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:34:35 pm by Slew Foot »

rattlesnake

Re: Splinter on Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:34:39 pm »
ide think about gluing it back down and put a 1" wide leather patch around the limb too hold it , and just do the same on oposite limb just for looks?.....sometimes a lift can run on ya and this will prevent that?..pics would help...snake

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:39:53 pm »
I'm assuming your bows edges are sharp and not rounded.  What I would do is saturate the splinter with super glue and put a temporary wrap on it until the glue cures. Give it about an hour. Then unwrap it and round off all your sharp edges. The radius of a pea(about 1/4") is a good rule of thumb. A little more or less will be OK too. You may eliminate the splinter when you round the corners. If not you will have to put a permanent wrap over it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Slew Foot

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:04:50 pm »
Looks like that will work being that the splinter is so small and close to the edge.

Thanks,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 09:25:16 pm »
Good deal!  8)  Got any pics of your to share?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC