Author Topic: My first R/D laminate bow...  (Read 8057 times)

Offline akila

My first R/D laminate bow...
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:06:04 pm »
Hy ....this is my first   R/D laminate bow....its massaranduba with bamboo backing.....the bow pulls 45# @ 29".....its 63" long... tha handle is made from  black locust , ash, massaranduba and  the last strip, is some fruit tree....i dont know the name in english..sorry....at the  tips , on the belly side, i glued 2 strips of black locust and ash...overlays are made from cow horn.....i hope u will like-it.....im not totaly satisfied  with the tiller of this bow....it wass a little tricky.....its my first r/d bow, and  i have to say it wass a little dificult to figure it out, how to tiller this bow....the upper arm is a little wicker....but im realy  happy how this born turned out .....the tips are  realy thinn... a little under 1/4" wide at the noks....enugh talkiing...here are some pictures with this bow...

Here u can see the strips of black locust and ash...

The bamboo backing....i used some red natural dye to give it that coloure...

Here is a closer look to the nok.....thats my little finger ... ;D

Here is the bow strung

And the full draw picture....

I hope u will like it....its the first time whenn i work  with massaranduba wood...a verry nice wood....great colore and texture...a verry tugh wood....thats all for the moment...i have some massaranduba and some ipe for 3 or 4 bows, and i sure will give it a try again verry soon...take care....byee

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: My first R/D laminate bow...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:16:12 pm »
WOw!!   I think it turned out great!   Tiller looks nice and the different types of woods go well together.  You made the tips scary thin which makes the bow scary fast I bet.   Nice job on this one!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »
Thks...the tips are indeed verry narrow...the last 3"  of the tips are narrower thenn my little finger....to be onest i did not shoot the bow yet....i just  finished him half an hour a go...the laquer, just dried, and i had take the pictures, and post it here.....tomorow i will shoot the and see how it shoots...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:34:03 pm »
well judging by the tips and the tiller I bet it will be a pretty fast bow.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 05:59:58 pm »
I'd say it turned out great. I just finished an IPE and you'res makes me jealous.
VB

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:29:41 pm »
Wow!!!  That is a gorgeous bow!!  Not only the way the colors of the wood compliment each other but I love the handle!  One of the reasons I have not been too crazy about the R/D bows is the handles....they always remind me of FB bows :-\ (No offense to the fine craftsmen who produce them ;) )  But that just looks sweet!!!  Good Job Man, I look forward to your future projects.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline akila

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:35:57 pm »
Wow!!!  That is a gorgeous bow!!  Not only the way the colors of the wood compliment each other but I love the handle!  One of the reasons I have not been too crazy about the R/D bows is the handles....they always remind me of FB bows :-\ (No offense to the fine craftsmen who produce them ;) )  But that just looks sweet!!!  Good Job Man, I look forward to your future projects.

Nate Danforth

I know exactly  what u meanr...as u can see, the handle is simple...no arrow rest no nothing....i tried to make the handle realy simple, and   not verry massive...
Thk. u all for your replays...im glad u like  my bow... ::)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 06:44:42 pm »
Very pretty bow :)
 I bet when you do get to shoot it you'll be even happier with it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 06:56:21 pm »
Now thats a great looking bow.  Good job.

Shadow Walker

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:28:21 pm »
Well, it must be said, that is one beautiful bow! Clean and crisp lines and design. The laminates on the belly really set it off nice!

Offline Marvin Campbell

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:34 pm »
Very nice indeed !!!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 08:38:52 pm »
That's a nice bow!Good job Akila,I like it. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:24:03 pm »
wow what a beauty , im way out of my league here , but i love looking at the awesome bows.. keep em coming , i'll keep breaking mine

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:50:33 pm »
Really perty.Love the belly lams. ;)

Offline akila

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 04:50:06 am »
Hi....and thks alot for your compliments...... ::)