Author Topic: New Spine Tester  (Read 8670 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
New Spine Tester
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »
I just gotta brag a little.......    Here's my new "Jim Hill Sorta" spine tester.   I need to cast a 2# test weight and it will be done. 

Mostly just leftover scrap materials except for the Dial Indicator which was contributed to the project by Ian_Johnson's dad.   (Thanks buddy!)

piper

Offline Kegan

Re: New Spine Tester
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:22:44 pm »
I like it :)!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:39:51 pm »
so when can i expect my first dozen shafts?  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »
Trey..........advice from an old guy:   get a job, look at your pay stub, you'll get the shaft every pay day!   

Soon as i cast the two pound weight and get to weigh it ACCURATELY i'll cut some ash shafts and plane them up.  Been a little busy caring for my wife and running a business.  I wish i had home work like you do , i'd work shorter hours. 

piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »
lol. i hear that. its just fun to poke the ole bear with a stick sometimes.

btw im lookin for a job. not exactly easy to find when your new town consists of 2 service stations and a mom and pop gorcery.  >:(

i been wanting to learn to make cane arrows. i may be swinging in after you get it done to test some shafts.
lets just shoot it

Offline smokeu

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 01:19:03 pm »
Very cool, i have been really wanting to build one like that.  I had some poc shafts given to me so i put that project on hold.  Yours looks nice. BTW they have dial indicators cheap at harbour freight tools.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:25:26 pm »
If you are going to be making hardwood shoot or cane arrows make one of the uprights adjustable to accomidate the irregular surface of these materials.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 04:50:40 pm »
Hey 'Pipes?  Could you post the dimensions and such, I think more than a few of us would like to copy that handy li'l tool?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 09:00:06 pm »
Hey guys, glad you like it.   Here's the link.  the inventor used lots of metal.  I have a wood shop.   Yup, my dial indicator is from Harbor Freight, a gift from Ian Johnson's dad  Our Harbor Freight is about 35 miles from here.   That's cool. 

I have the lead on hand now.   Just need some time to make up the two pound push-weight

piper

banoch

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:52:07 pm »
Trey..........advice from an old guy:   get a job, look at your pay stub, you'll get the shaft every pay day!   

;D ;D ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:25:13 pm »
mr. keith, is yer link one of them new invisible ones?
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:27:48 pm »
Piper, Here is my version of a James Hill spine tester, also made with scrap wood. As per Art Butner I used a large diameter bolt for the weight. As you can see it pushes down through eye bolts rather than pulls down like a suspended weight. I'm not sure if the direction of deflection matters or not. ::)  Also from Art, the adjustable upright. The one on the right has a slot in the wood where the bolt goes through and a wing nut for quick adjustment. I think I got my dial indicator from Grizzly.
  The drop bolt weight has a copper plumbing sweat fitting forced over the hex head with lead  added inside to make up the 2#. I weighed the components using lead shot until I had the 2# then melted the lead shot and poured it into the copper fitting.
  I used skateboard bearings for the arrow shaft to rest on when spine testing.
I also have a suspended weight that I use. It is a small metal PVC pipe cleaner can with a cup hook in the lid. I added lead shot to it to make up the 2#.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:24 pm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:50:19 pm »
I guess the bolt was Hill's idea. ;D  I couldn't get enough washers on my bolt to make weight so I went with the copper fitting and lead shot.  Actually having the bolt come down directly over the dial indicator would give a more accurate reading than a weight that is hung off center.

Offline possum

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 06:55:18 pm »
I have one similar to Pat's although I went the washers on the bolt route.  As far as adjustable I put two wood screws in the notches where the arrow rests, on both sides.  Also, because I spine unstraightened bamboo shafts I have the dial indicater on a swinging arm kinda thing in case the shaft bows out I can still move the indicator under the shaft to get a truer reading.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC