Author Topic: Applying rawhide backing  (Read 5587 times)

roofus

Applying rawhide backing
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:08:32 pm »
Is there a build along or other info here on applying rawhide for backing? I've never tried it and I'd like to.

Regards,

Rob

Offline bigcountry

Re: Applying rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:19:11 pm »
I don't know of a buildalong but I did my first a few months ago and came to a few conconclusions.  ONe, I don't like using ace bandage.  Two, trim the rawhide to the bow with 1/4" or less on each sides.  I left mine full width and that turned out bad.  If I do another I will use jute twine to wrap ever 1/4".  That way I can take off and on and it lets air to it.  Lastly, I won't use masking tape to hold it down while I wrap with ace bandage.  That was stupid. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »
I do as bigcountry does, but the trick with the ace bandage is to not put it on so tight that you leave an impression in the dried rawhide.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:34 pm »
It is just like applying snake skin. I guess you haven't done that either. ;)
  A lot depends on how thick the rawhide is. With deer rawhide I soak it in warm water while I'm prepping the bow. Clean the back of the bow put down a thin layer of Glue(I like TBIII glue) and let the glue set. When the raw hide is soft and pliable roll it up in a towel to remove the excess water, lay it flat and apply the glue to the flesh side and another layer to the bows back. Lay the rawhide down from the handle to the tip and work out the air bubbles and excess glue. I prefer to use 2 pieces of rawhide overlapped at the handle. If the rawhide is pliable enough it will drape over the limb and no wrap is necessary. If it doesn't lay well I use old bed sheets ripped into 2" wide strips to wrap it. After it has set for an hour or so I will remove the wrap, trim the excess rawhide with a razor blade from the edges(while it is still soft). Now let the bow sit in a dry area so the moisture in the glue will evaporate. I like to give it 3 days to a week , depending on the weather.
   If you allow the first coat of glue to cure out completely(24hours) first, and you are using TBIII, it will help keep most of the moisture out of the wood thus making the drying time shorter.
  Once it is completely dry you can dress up the edges with a file and sandpaper on a block. Add your regular finish the way you normally do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

roofus

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
Sweet. Thanks for the info.
That is exactly how I apply linen backing. The learning curve should be fairly straight.
Oh and no I have not done the snake skin thing yet. Someday. I have to get over my fear of snakes first. :-[

Thanks guys for all of your help. Pat B. I think you helped me save a hickory bow last fall. It's still alive and well.

Rob

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:55:04 pm »
No matter how you do it, keep in mind that the rawhide will shrink as it drys, so don't trim it too close. That's why I just wait till it's dry and then sand it to the finished edge. But as a famous redneck once said "there's more than one way to skin a cat". ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:26:01 pm »
i allways scuff up the back of the bow with 80 grit soak my rawhide, put 1 coat of tb3 over the back let dry then coat the rawhide and back apply rawhid, i dont trim at all wrap with ace bandage let dry over night unwrap let dry bout 3 or 4 days, then i take a fine file trim my edges. then finish the bow. and you can sand rawhide with fine paper as smooth as you want just dont over due it. you can also stain it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline gmc

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:35 pm »
Here is the best way I know. I've done two bows that turned out perfect using this method. Hope this helps.

Greg

http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/SELFBOWS/veneerII.CFm
Central Kentucky

Offline gmc

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:33:27 pm »
I posted part #2 above, sorry. Here's the link to start, there is actually three parts to this.

http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/SELFBOWS/beginnings.CFM
Central Kentucky

roofus

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:57:53 am »
Awesome!! Thank you guys for all of the info. This is the greatest site on the web.