Author Topic: fall edibles  (Read 9166 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
fall edibles
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:08:14 am »
so far this month. White oak acorns. Made flour and meal. Also have been roasting them and eating them whole. Hickory nuts. Crush em, shell and meat. Cover them with water and simmer. Fats will rise to top. Skim it off and drink. Pour off water and remove. Drink water, this is hickory milk. Its awesome. Before removing water i use a flattened stick to remove large shells . Rest of the muck can be eaten. Gritty but good. Black walnut. Remove husk by stepping on. Dry the nut ,crack and dig out meat. Use just like walnuts. Save husks ,they make an excellent dye. Also remove your shoes before getting in car or walking into house or youll find out the hard way how good of a dye it is . Wear gloves if you dont want dyed hands. My hands are always dirty so i dont care and the brown fingertips wear off after a while. Chestnuts. Get them off the ground quick. Worms get them quick. If they havent opened to expose the nut burn the husks a bit to remove the spines or wear work gloves and split the husk with a knife. Roast em and sing christmas songs. =) ill be gathering tubers next week.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

Re: fall edibles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:32:52 am »
What about the fall mushrooms Jamie? You have any up there?

It's time here for the corals to be out, but I haven't seen any yet.Puffballs are everywhere but I don't really like them.

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:23:43 am »
i really only eat the tree fungi and puffballs. we had so much rain this year they came and went real fast. i had a really nice hen of the woods and two chicken of the woods earlier. not too many puffballs this year . last year was a bumper crop.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:30:05 pm »
Great haul you got! We have lots of Gambel's Oaks here that we harvested acorns from last year. But this year, we got no appreciable rain during our monsoons. So, what few acorns were produced were quickly snapped up by squirrels and acorn woodpeckers. Last year, we had a huge haul of King Bolete and Lobster mushrooms. This year, not a one because no rain. We did get a nice haul of blackberries and discovered an apple tree growing wild we got a nice haul from. I did notice the "Pinyon Lady" has been selling both the regular Arizona/New Mexico pinyon nuts and the bigger Nevada pinyon nuts almost all year here in town. So, she must have had quite a haul from last year. The purslane poked its head up, but without rain, decided to wait for a better year.

I think our first snows are on their way soon. I scored nicely on some firewood. The fire department dragged out the dead Ponderosa pines from the forest and cut them up only 100 feet from our front door. I asked about if I could take some and they said it was for the public. I went over with my axe and split my winter firewood. I needed it, too. Out of work and was worrying about the winter heating bill and knew I had no choice but to get firewood. I thought I'd have a long slog doing all the cutting by hand with axe. But then this boon appeared and I only had to split it and carry it back.
Living a dream...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »
Jamie
Any kind of Hickory nut or are some better than others?
Traverse City, MI

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:44:33 pm »
I  didn't  know  acorns  could  be  eaten  without leaching them  in  some  way
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:39 am »
White oak acorns can be eaten without leaching. Red oaks have to be leached.
Living a dream...

Offline jamie

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:26:30 am »
tsalagi aint it grand when gifts are dropped at your doorstep. i have two elms down on the other side of a swamp that i want to remove for firewood. gonna have to cut it to six footers and carry it out. gonna sleep good that night.. wish we had pinions in this area

rick any will do just some have more meat than others.

you can eat reds raw but the pucker factor is heavy as well as the stomache ache and not crapping for a week if you eat too many. =)

waterbury, ct

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:02:20 am »
i got a ton of white oak trees here. gotta get some acorns. i been finding places to get cattails, just aing harvested them yet. there are lots of different mushrooms growing around here, but after the berry experience i dont want to mess with them.  :o
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:31:16 pm »
 Trey, don't get your cattails down stream from the waste water treatment plant. They are natures filter systems. My company designs artificial marshes for WWTP to flow through before they get to natural water. The roots might taste a little funny.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12:38 am »
many of the superfund sites have utilised cattails to purify the drainage areas at the contaminatated sites. one site has 4 1 acre cattail fields that the water passes through. the exiting water has been tested and all the impurities they find at the inlet to the fields have been removed.

waterbury, ct

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 09:25:31 am »
didnt know that. but no worries, all mine are back in a little slough in the woods.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:16:01 am »

Hyacinths will do it also.  In fact quite a few years ago, the NASA guys were considering taking some to the space station, to purify the waste water, and ferment them, and use the gas for powering a generator.  They did the same type of testing, in an acre sized pond.  The water flowing in had heavy metals in in it, and the water flowing out had none. 8)

Wayne

Offline jamie

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 05:41:18 am »
wayne do you mean the spring hyacinth. thats awesome

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:08:53 pm »

Jamie, as far as I know it was just the plain ol water Hyacinth.  The kind that has the pretty Blueish, flowers, on a stalk, when it blooms.  There is no lack of them down here.  In fact, if there is water, there more than likely are cattails, and hyacinths in it.  If not, it won't be long, before there is.  The Sea Cows, or manatees love em. :-* :P

Wayne