Author Topic: Atlatle  (Read 6429 times)

kerbinator

Atlatle
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »
I made an Atlatle tonight and almost hit the bulls eye with it. It was really cool. It was the first one i've made in about 15 years. I'll try to get some pics soon. Does anyone no if there is any laws against hunting with these things.
Marlin

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: Atlatle
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:48:59 pm »
It depends on what state you're in if it's legal to hunt with.
Living a dream...

kerbinator

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:41:58 am »
I am in Texas. I 'll have to check out my booklet. I must say I have never seen Atlatle mentioned in one of those hunting reg books.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:56:48 pm »
You may be able to hunt hogs with it in TX, not sure. Alabama is the only state I'm aware of where it's legal to deer hunt with an atlatl. Some states allow hunting feral pigs or fish with them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:59:49 pm »
yep Hillbilly is right.  Alabama is the only state that still allows deer to be hunted by atlatl.    Sweet Home Alabama!!!   -josh  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

kerbinator

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:38 pm »
It's a shame  :-[ A 15000 year old weapon can't be used to kill deer any more in Texas of all places hat is it coming to.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »
Another  infringement  on  hunters,  blowguns  are  also  illegal  here
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:01:03 pm »
I WATCHED A TV SHOW ON THE ATLATLE AND WHEN IT BECAME LEAGL TO SHOOT DEER WITH THEM DOWN SOUTH ITS NO BOW BUT IT IS AN PRIMITIVE WEAPON!!! I THINK IT IS AMAZING WEAPON AND I KNOW THERE ARE MANY CLUBS U CAN JOIN ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES...THIS COUNTRIES  PROBLEM, AMONGST MANY OTHER ISSUES IT CONTAINS, IS THAT IT DOES RESTRICT US FROM USING TOOLS LIKE ATLATLE... IT IS ILLEGAL TO KILL A DEER WHERE I LIVE EVEN WITH A CROSSBOW...WHAT!!! ISNT THAT STUPID THEY ARE UNBELIEVABLY ACCURATE WITH GOOD KILLING POWER WHY THEY SELL THEM IN EVERY HUNTING STORE IS BEYOND ME..OH WELL SORRY ABOUT LIGHT POLITICS HOPE THAT DIDNT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE BOARD...BUT U KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT..
CHEERS!!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:33 am »
Pretty sure use an atlatl is not legal in Alabama, the spear must be hand thrown. Here is a quote from the regulation book.

DEER and FERAL SWINE may be taken by hand
thrown spear during the open Bow and Arrow
season on these species. The hand thrown spear
shall have a sharpened blade a minimum of two
inches in width. The spear shall only be hand
thrown.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
well whenever I have thrown an atlatl dart it has been by hand  ???  ???  ??? How else would you throw it?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

kerbinator

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 10:49:37 pm »
That is true.
There is the Atlatl.That must be thrown with the hand. And there is the Dart propel by the atlatl.  So it seems to me that would qualify as a spear thrown by hand.

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
Osiyo.
 I live in North Alabama and actually called the game warden office last year to ask if it was legal to hunt with an atlatl.
The lady had no i dea what i was talking about and she said no its not legal. lol Who knows?
I think they make this stuff as they go.
lol
wado
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi