Author Topic: first ever primitive deer  (Read 11881 times)

Offline boo

first ever primitive deer
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »
Well it happen tonight. And it was everything i had imagined it would be. I shot my first deer with all primitive gear. My Osage,  sinew backed bow really done its job along with the awesome head Billy knapped for me. The little button buck was 15 yrds quartered away and for once i picked a spot. The arrow went exactly were i was looking and only ran a hundred yrds.  wouldnt have been that far but it was all down hill. There was blood from the very spot i shot him and lots of it, all the way to the deer. Billy sure knows how to sharpen a stone head. The head broke its tip but other than that it probably could be used again. It broke a rib going in, went through both lungs, went out the other side and lodged in the right leg. Im going to make a necklace with this head so it wont never be used again. I also used my stone knife Cowboy gave to me from the KITH to gut and dress the deer, I was very impressed with how the knife performed, didnt miss my steel knife at all. I still cant believe it finally happened, sure hope this feeling stays around for awhile, because its great. 

Boo

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: first ever primitive deer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:41:48 am »
THAT IS AWESOME. I tried to call you last night., but I guess you were busy doing other things.  ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:53:57 am »
Congrats boo, I'm still wiating on my first but no hurry it will come :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:27:11 am »
congrad bobbie.
very nice. My turn now... if I could only get out in the woods. hard to shoot them from my desk... dont see many.
Glad U scored.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:24:35 am »
Congratulations on a fine shot and some good eating! I hope you never lose that feeling.... ;D
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:28:54 am »
I gotta tell ya Boo, you just made my hunting season.  I don't even care if I kill a deer now.  I just read your post and I am absolutely thrilled that you finally killed a deer with totally primitive stuff.  And thanks for the kind words about the stone point.  But it doesn't matter how sharp that stone point was, you did everything right, picked a spot, and made it happen.  In fact, making the stone point is easy compared to what you did...THAT'S the hard part.  

Could you e-mail me some good pics of you and the deer and the stone point???  I'm trying to compile a photo album of all my friends who kill stuff with primitive equipment.

It's funny, but I feel just like I did when I killed my very first deer...I'm just giddy!!!  When I finally got my deer I felt like my feet didn't touch the ground for a week, and I'm sure you feel the same.  Now I feel that way again!!  Maybe cause I had a very small part in helping you get your deer.  Dude........that is just AWESOME!!!  I am so thrilled!  I'll be walking around for the rest of the week with a huge smile on my face too....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:32:03 am by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:47 am »
Congrats Bobby!! Looks like some fine table fair... I bet you have been floating around ever since.. ;)

Offline Bear

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:21 am »
Awsome!! Very cool about the necklace, too.
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:33:52 pm »
That kind of excitement and enthusiasm just made my day as well. Having other folks involved with some of the equipment adds to the good mojo I think. I can remember Shannon (Saw Filer) being just as excited as Billy last year when Pappy took a deer using a point Shannon had made from an Aunt Jemina bottle. Cool stuff, and my warmest congratulations for your accomplishment! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline boo

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:47:39 pm »
I appreciate it yall, its great being able to share this hunt  with others that know the true meaning behind it all.

Billy ill send you and email soon.
Boo

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:26:22 pm »
Congrats...very happy for you.  I'm sure you will relive the moment many times!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

brokenhand

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 05:47:11 pm »
        Great job! This is what it's all about. I hope you get that same feeling many times to come. Now that you know the sacred feeling of the stick and string, be sure to help pass it on to another hunters soul. Congrats. May you always walk this road with pride....Brokenhand....Aho.

Offline Simple Hunter

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »
That is so cool, I would like to take a deer with stone some day.I have a friend who made some stone points for me but I am afraid that they are not sharp enough.

Offline boo

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:46:37 pm »
I appreciate it yall,

Simple hunter, did you get the PM i sent you?
Boo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:28 am »
Congrats,mighty fine job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good