Author Topic: Tillering advice  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Benvse

Tillering advice
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:45:12 am »
I was wondering if anyone had advice on the time length to tillering a bow. I know when tillering you need to make sure everything is bending correctly, but i was wondering how long should I wait before i bend the bow to the next notch on my tiller stand.
                                                                                                             Ben Vise

Offline DanaM

Re: Tillering advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:48 am »
If you have an even tiller with no hinges its time to move on :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:37:25 pm »
Make sure to exercise the bow after taking off wood.  Pull it to the intended notch on the tiller stand 20-30 times before checking the curve.  Try to get to brace height before tillering any further.  A good looking tiller at brace saves a lot of time down the road.  I actually don't tiller much after a good looking brace is achieved.  It seems to be downhill from there.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Benvse

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:51:03 pm »
Thank you for helping me with this I am so nervous to break another bow during tillering.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:15:41 pm »
I probably spend more time floor tillering than I do on the tillering tree.  it seems like once I get them bending sort of evenly with a push on either end they go pretty fast on the tree. 

piper

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:44:31 am »
I think an important thing to grasp, in addition to the above great advice, is don't ever pull a bow further than it takes to expose a problem. You should think about using a rope and pulley rather than the t stick.  It's safer. Know one likes to break saves but it happens. I broke somewhere around 14 before I got a hunting weight shooter. After bow #3, I went to the rope and pulley. LOL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:54 am »
just take your time cause there aint no such thing as time on bow building. never pull past you desired finish draw weight i use a scale alot to keep it in check. i work my limbs bout 20 to 30 times before i move on to the next couple inches. i can change fast for the good and bad. when i first started i made alot of weaker bows than i wanted.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken