Author Topic: New Hunting Arrows  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Strongbow88

New Hunting Arrows
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:56:12 pm »
Heres some pics of some new hunting arrows. Two weigh 650 grains and two weigh 675. They are made from birch dowels that I tapered. I dyed the feathers with red rit dye. I will trim and round the fletchings off a little more after I shoot it some more and they settle.  Is there anything I can do to set the dye and keep it from getting on my hand and bow.

Danny Johnson

Offline recurve shooter

Re: New Hunting Arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »
i dont know about the dye, but thats what my hand and bow looked like when i shot off my hand with feather's who's quills wernt trimed thin enough. and it wernt dye on my hand.  :P

great lookin arras by the way.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:29:00 am »
I learned that whichever dye it is RED is the hardest to seal!
When I sealed a bow in black and red waterbased dye, the black didn't come through after the first layer of waterbased laquer, for the red it took 6 layers! - Nowadays I only use acrylic paint for crownpaint.

These are really nice arrows!
Frank from Germany...

Offline dogleg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:00:48 am »
Strongbow,

The Rit that I used recently for dying linnen bowstrings said to use salt in the mix, to set the dye, if using on natural substances.  It also said you had to wash after dying, with a gentle dettergent, like dawn dish-soap.  The green and black were good after one wash, but the red was bleeding onto my hand until I washed it four times, and then it still bled with heavy handling.  It also faded the color, a little.  If the dye is coming off the feathers, maybe somebody else could advise you on what they'll take in the way of washing.  I am just now doing my first arrows, so no clue, here.

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:03:36 am »
Nice arrow, Best of luck.  I hope you find a deer at the end of one of them. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:50:01 am »
Good looking bunch of arrows,as for the dye ,don't know,I know the red string material bleeds like that also,so I don't use it anymore.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »
Thanks for your comments. I think the dye thing will be okay once I get them sharpened up. I won't be shooting them I will only use them for hunting.
Danny Johnson

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:57 pm »
Thanks for your comments. I think the dye thing will be okay once I get them sharpened up. I won't be shooting them I will only use them for hunting.

you must hunt the same woods as me  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:04:33 pm »
I always used denatured alcohol to cut the RIT dye. Don't know about red, but I did some orange ones, and they didn't bleed on me. The alcohol may strip the oils from turkey feathers though, so they wouldn't be naturally rain proof.