Author Topic: Types of wood  (Read 3983 times)

bowhuntinhillbilly

Types of wood
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:53:36 am »
I am having technical difficulties identigying species of wood. I am easily able to determine hickory, locust, oak, cedar, pine, walnut, persimmon, and osage, but I don't really know what mulberry, hornbeam, red osage, lemonwood, or some of these types of trees, could anyone find it in their heart to post some pictures of what these trees look like, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Types of wood
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:46:13 pm »
I've never heard of red osage other than a color phase of the osage wood. You won't find lemonwood locally as it is indigenous to Cuba and a portion of Central America. As for hop hornbeam and mulberry a good tree ID book like Audubon's Field guide to Trees(Eastern or Western) will give you a good description of growing habits, geographic location and leaf, twig, bud and flower identification with great color pics and line drawings that will help you ID trees as you find them in the woods.
  You could probably Google any of those trees and get a full description of it with pics and scientific info thrown in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
Re: Types of wood
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:46:14 pm »
Hey hilbilly,
  got to the bookstore(books a million) pick up a copy of National audubon society, field guide to trees, eastern region.  It will tell you everything you need to know, with good color pics of both fall, and spring foliage.also Bark,and more.  What areas that a particular tree is in. Promise it will help.
Also check out sites like Amazon.com, you can get some good prices there.

Steve