Author Topic: Artificial Sinew  (Read 21867 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Artificial Sinew
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
ZenBowyer, those little relief cuts on either side of the nock don't effect the strength of the selfnock but do protect the string from sharp edges.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:24:50 pm »
ZenBowyer, those little relief cuts on either side of the nock don't effect the strength of the selfnock but do protect the string from sharp edges.
Yes, what Pat said. I do mine like that all the time and never had a problem. I figure they will explode no matter what if they aren't wrapped, but once you wrap them it is going to hold unless you abuse them.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline scattershot

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 06:56:50 pm »
Even though I usually wrap mine or use a spline, I have made arrows without either that worked just fine. The only self nocks I have broken were too tight for the string.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 10:35:52 pm »
Tried  this to  wrap  nocks  since  I  haven't  acquired   sinew  just  yet,  very  strong  material, used denatured  alcohol  to  get  some  of  the  wax  off,
   also  used  a  2  part  epoxy  resin  to coat the  nock  for  added  strength, I've  used this to protect bow  nocks  and  it  works  great

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »
I use it for selfnocks and wrapping feathers. To finish I use a couple of half hitches and coat with hide glue. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!