Author Topic: 2 fletched arrow?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
2 fletched arrow?
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:56 pm »
I was looking at a build along on 2 fletch arrows, and noticed that the fletching started out with right wing feathers.  After the fletching was wrapped on the back and the feathers bent over, the feathers then were put in a left wing spiral?  Is this normal or should the feathers actually spiral to the right for the right wing feather?

Offline stringstretcher

Re: 2 fletched arrow?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »
Did I ask this wrong????.... ??? :-[ ??? :-[

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:03:09 pm »
I usually try to turn the dull side of the fletching into the wind regardless of which fletching style I'm using.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »
Hillbilly has the right answer.  BUT, I did once fletch a dozen arrows with the right handed Arizona Fletcher and used all left wings.  Didn't realize it until I was on the last arrow, beer and Ducco Cement don't mix, ya know. 

Funny thing, though.  They all flew pretty good...but then the jig put plenty of helical into the fletching, so they grabbed air and did the job. 

Then, being the contrary sorta fellow I am, I grabbed an old shaft in the shop and mixed right wing and left wing and jammed them into the fletching jig, glued them up, fixed a field point on it and shot the goofy thing.  My conclusion was that it was not worth walking out into the field to retrieve that object (note I did not call it an arrow).

Dull side of the feather is the underside, and on the downstroke of a bird's wing they need the most strength and this is the side that provides the most resistance to the wind.  I have seen two fletch that used both sides of the same wing feather.  But one side is going to do more work and the other side is going to flex more and carry less of the load.  I imagine this could cause some unsteadiness in flight.  I would think using two right wing feathers to make the two fletch would make for a much better flight. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 12:57:09 am »
JW has a point. I made an arrow that I mixed feathers up while 2 fletching and it flew like junk. One feather over powered the other, but if I knocked it the other way it flew better.  ???
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:04:56 pm »
Stringstretcher,
    You  have really warped my  brain thinnking  about your  question,
I  hope  it's  not  permanent

zeNBowyer
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »
LOL.......yeah Zen, I feel the same way.  Still not sure what to do.....lol

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »
After viewing the build along of the cherokee two fletch in the build along section, I only shoot 2 fletches. Ive fletched about 24 arrows with right wing turkey secondary feathers. When spiraling the feathers around the shaft I have rotated the feathers  both clockwise and counter clockwise, and have got great arrow flight from both.    I now primarily rotate the feathers counter clockwise, because i think it makes the feathers look better, and gives them a cool tie-fighter look when viewing from the nock end  ;D  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow