Author Topic: INDIAN STICK  (Read 8554 times)

Offline Blacktail

INDIAN STICK
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:46:12 pm »
I posted this on anther site, some of you have seen this, some of you have not. So I thought I would get of my lazy butt and post on here. At the second Central Oregon gathering, I finished this stick up with the help of Juniper Junkie, Keenan Howard, and I want to thank them so much for the help. Sorry so much for not posting this sooner. Another person I want to thank is Billy Berger for inspiring me in an article he wrote in 2004 called California Bows. As soon as I seen the article I knew I had to make one. I didn't care about how the poundage came out, I just wanted to get one done. So the specs are  42 inches long yew wood, one course of sinew, the paint is acrylic and irondioxide, the handle is corded hemp. It shoots a whopping twenty pounds at 17 inches. I have to say this is the first stick that I ever made. Hope you enjoy, john.

Offline Blacktail

Re: INDIAN STICK
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »
I also wanted to ask, what your guys secrets are that make these short bows have more poundage. If I remember right, in Billys article, his California bow was 49 lbs. So are there any tips on getting higher poundage on these shorts sticks?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:02:51 am »
I don't think there's really a trick to getting heavy short bows. If its made well and the wood can take it you can get quite a bit of poundage out of a smaller piece of wood. I really haven't made a lot of really short bows but I was able to get a lot from this hickory bow I made. If there is a secret it's probably that the bow will take more set than brake if well made. https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14420.msg200084.html#msg200084

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:02:56 am »
 Very nice bow John, That looks a heck of allot better then my first bow. Love the paint scheme and glad to see you getting "off your butt" to share with us. If you average 3 lbs per inch then it would be about 41lbs at 24" However one layer of sinew might be a little light to try to ask that of a bow that short.  To get the poundage up just keep the center a little stiffer and get the tips and mid bending a little more.
  I think you did an outstanding job on that replica John. Don't worry about it being light just shoot it and enjoy it. Awesome job! ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:10:03 am »
Cool little bow.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:51:26 am »
Nice bow. 

You can get more draw length out of that bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:00:52 am »
hey Marc,yes i can but my string at the time was coming undone from me messing with it...thanks guys some much...john

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:33:51 am »
Dang good looking first bow! Nice bend, and I like the artwork. Congrat's..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

radius

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:48:03 am »
Nice bow. 

You can get more draw length out of that bow.

marc's probly right, and the further you draw it, the higher the poundage will be.  It's yew, man!  It craves to bend.  Pull that sucker!

Remove the paint and add another layer or two of sinew, that'll do it!

banoch

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 06:48:08 pm »
Can't answer your question but I'll say I really like your paint job on that bow!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 11:34:18 pm »
thanks guys for the kind words..yes,next time i will have to slap on more tendon and just give it a jerk  ;D..john

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 10:35:54 am »
I missed this one. Thanks for the"heads up" Bookmarked now for Nov Self BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:11 am »
Good looking bow, John. I love that paint job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 01:22:19 pm »
Nice bow,looks like the real thing, like it came right out of a teepee, especially with that paint job
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 06:06:42 pm »
thanks so much guys for the kind words..i am finally having a blast making bows...john