Author Topic: Stoneware or porcelain nocks?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline KShip85

Stoneware or porcelain nocks?
« on: November 15, 2009, 05:09:22 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried making nocks for long bows out of stoneware or porcelain.  I'd think it would work and the designs you could sculpt would be very interesting.  Main reason I am wondering is because I have some background in ceramics and am looking for cheaper alternatives to horn for decorative nocks on long bows.  If no one has any idea I guess I'll just be forced to try it and see what happens!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Stoneware or porcelain nocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:31:55 pm »
I've never seen anyone do it before and I have wondered a few times too how it would work. Try it and let us know.
SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:57:32 pm »
Might be a little brittle, but then again, it might work. There has been a little discussion on using things like this, but I don't know if it has ever been tried. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Innocente

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:34:32 pm »
if you decide to try it, don't just make 2, batch a bunch, cause i wanna preorder 2 from ya!

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:53:57 am »
Yeah, I think I am going to have to at least go ahead and try it, worst thing that can happen is they do not work.  Now I just need to do some research to come up with some cool designs.  I'll see what all I can find.  Something with a hint of Lord of the Rings might be fun.

Kip

Offline KShip85

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:12:01 am »
Well good news for me!  I have just purchased a used kiln and am setting forward in my work for ceramic nocks.  Hoping it turns out well.  I plan on doing some tests before hand to check the shrinkage rate of the clay after it is fired as this will effect the size of the body and hole that I will need to make prior to firing it.  After I get some preliminary tests done I plan on trying to crank some of these out.  Simple at first maybe but hopefully moving on to some fun designs.  I'd love to try and make up something for anyone interested in shooting me some ideas in terms of shapes and what not.  I'd like to get pretty intricate somewhere along the road but right now will just enjoy getting in some practice.  I'm not sure how quick I'd get them out right now as I will need to do some experimenting but if anyone is interested I'd love to go ahead and jot anything down so that I can get to it when I am ready to go.  Thanks for looking everyone and I hope that my experiments prove successful!!

Kip

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:26:27 am »
Well I'm not sure you will be getting away with much cheaper because of firing costs, cost of kiln, and such.  The other thing to consider is ceramic is one heck of a lot heavier than any wood I've encountered, so you will be adding a fair amount of mass.  If you are looking for performance, I'd be leery.  If you just want aesthetics on the other hand, I'd say go for it , the sky is the limit.  You might consider sculpting what you want out of clay, making a silicon mold, and then casting the piece out of resin.  That will still add some weight depending on what you want, but it will be much better than essentially gluing rocks to you bow tips.  What temp are you planing to fire to?  The higher the better would be my guess.  I'd fire as high as your kiln can take (with the appropriate clay).  I would go to cone 10 as a minimum, but more than likely your kiln will not go past that assuming it is an electric kiln, it may not even go that high.  Personally I'd go to cone 12/13 in a gas or wood kiln and then salt it (less glaze weight).  The minimum I would fire to would be cone 02, below that and you can snap most things with your hands.  Even cone 02 might be to low depending on the clay body.  Try and come down through quartz inversion as slow as possible for this project.  Ceramic material is great for wear resistance, and does okay in compression.  It does not do well flexing or with physical shock at all, unless you get into some of the "super" ceramics such as knife blade material, Corning Ware, engine cylinder sleeves, etc.  Unfortunately those are likely beyond you and I, especially since the manufactures are not likely to share their clay formulas.  I'd say that a COMPLETELY non-bending tip section is mandatory depending on nock/overlay design, and be real careful about banging the tips around once mounted on the bow.  Let us know how it turns out. :)

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:12:59 am »
I will be firing to cone 10 as that is what I an used to and that's as high as the kiln will go, lol.  I'd like to build a wood or gas kiln sometime to try and get higher.  I would like to experiment and do some research on clay bodies but will probably start out with a simple porcelain or medium grog stoneware.  As far as glazing I'll probably not worry about it much now but will in the future.  My purpose here is definately more for aesthetics as I know there are better methods if performance is all I have in mind.  I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

Kip

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:07:33 pm »
You might want to investigate adding a little kyanite to the clay body.  It really helps with thermal shock, but I don't know if it helps with physical shock or not.  Ask on Clayart.com, I'm sure Ron, Vince, or one of the other gurus will know.  Good luck.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:23:58 pm »
I've made them from Propoxy...little more modern but would work just like porcelain.  Works fine but it does take a bit to get the thickness and width right.  You also can't let the material lay over the sides of the stave; it has to be wholly on the back because the sides will break when the string and stave flex, which can crack the top, which can result in a cut string, which never results in anything but disappointment.   I'll post a couple pictures of mine later this evening.  I don't think I would do stone...little too soft...but on the other hand a small fracture in porcelain will act like a razor on your string.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry