Author Topic: Ipe/Ipe r/d Elb style-full draw photo added  (Read 6276 times)

Rich Saffold

Ipe/Ipe r/d Elb style-full draw photo added
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:50 pm »
Here is my latest longbow. 70"ntn 62#@29"  Full draw photo coming.  This bow was the belly from another bbi which the bamboo had a bad spot, and I had been meaning to try this.  Really happy with it so far.

http://richardsbowyery.bravehost.com/IMG_8603.JPG
http://richardsbowyery.bravehost.com/IMG_8604.JPG
http://richardsbowyery.bravehost.com/IMG_8605.JPG

http://richardsbowyery.bravehost.com/IMG_8608.JPG
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:04:32 pm by Rich Saffold »

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: Ipe/Ipe r/d Elb style
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:27 pm »
Nice  looking  bow:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:24 pm »
I like it a lot Rich. I've been meaning to try an ipe selfbow myself.
Gordon

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »
Wow very nice.  I can't find the glue line ;D  I'd Love to see full draw.
Nate Danforth

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:00:43 pm »
nice one!!!  I love the braced profile, cant wait to see it drawn back!   -josh  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:23 pm »
those pics took forever on my" superslow internet connection" but nice looking bow,  a good developement for the trad. longbow I'd love to try it out. I'm english but only just got to shoot a decent longbow a few weeks ago, I was impressed with its stability and smoothness
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:21:45 pm »
  Good looking bow, Rich. I've got the sister board to the self bow that Justin made. I need to get off my butt and make a self longbow. Did you stain that or is that Ipe that dark?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »
Good looking bow! Looks like one solid piece of wood.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 04:14:36 pm »
Nice bow Rich. Ill bet that is one fast shooting beast. Is that a black saddle I see on that cheetah did you?  It would be nice to see the full draw.

Good looking bow, Rich. I've got the sister board to the self bow that Justin made. I need to get off my butt and make a self longbow. Did you stain that or is that Ipe that dark?
No, you should just send it to me.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:37 pm »
Eddie, It's coated with mineral oil which is a personal favorite of mine. It's that dark..It's also a laminated bow and the back comprises about 45% of the limb thickness.
"Cheetah" I like that ;D

Thanks for the kind words, and I hope you guys try this style as its a pretty easy build.

Rich-FD coming

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 05:14:12 pm »
It's all brown, baby.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:45 pm »
Good to see another one of your bows Rich where ya been? :) Is that ipe backed ipe? looks lean and mean. I remember you saying something about a dacron string on an ipe bow was like putting a saddle on a cheetah ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Ipe/Ipe r/d Elb style-full draw photo added
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:12:58 pm »
 Rich, that Full-Draw looks like you are holding a stick! That tiller looks great.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 11:14:42 pm »
those pics took forever on my" superslow internet connection" but nice looking bow,  a good developement for the trad. longbow I'd love to try it out. I'm english but only just got to shoot a decent longbow a few weeks ago, I was impressed with its stability and smoothness
Actually, this was a huge file- 1.3 mb and would defeat nearly anybody. I resized it, thusly:
Bookmarked, too, for Nov Laminate BOM fun.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:24:16 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Rich Saffold

Re: Ipe/Ipe r/d Elb style-full draw photo added
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 11:32:48 pm »
Hi Jesse, I been busy chasing kids and building a couple real low and fast 3-wheeled bikes.(Tadpole style recumbent trike/velomobile).I'm putting a streamlined body on one now..Most fun work-out you can imagine, and probably one of the best work-outs for anyone not young anymore.  Low impact, and you can put your beer in the cupholder ;).

Actually I made the upper nock so it can handle a timber hitch in case I wanted to get that skinny Spectra string down to about 6 twists..I'm probably at 27"  on the full draw photo, and was a little stiff to hold at 29-30" since I had a minute to get the photo taken..

It's Ipe on the back, actually its more like a laminated bow since its such a high percentage of the limb cross section.   I got some real nice osage slats from Timo in a trade and am going make one with an osage back and Ipe belly next..

All you gots to do is rip the slat sideways so the back is a bit thinner than the belly, sand off any saw marks, cut out the bow profile and floor tiller the belly a bit, then glue it up..you guys know the routine..Hope you all try it since I'm betting it becomes a favorite..

Thanks Eddie! ya It's close to 7/8" wide ;D  The "brown" and how quiet this bow is will make a favorite for those wishing to hunt unseen and not heard..

Rich-so many bows to try