Author Topic: Arrow speed vs bow/arrow weight  (Read 19954 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Arrow speed vs bow/arrow weight
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:23 pm »
I apologize if this topic has been addressed, but I could not find it.  All things being equal, if a 60 lb bow shoots a 600 grain arrow at 160 fps and a 50 lb bow shoots a 500 grain arrow the same speed, is the relative effectiveness the same while hunting?  I'm guessing the heavier arrow would do more damage, but if it is a pass through shot, does it really matter?  What would the difference be if 600 grain arrow in the 60 lb bow was slower than the 500 grain arrow in the 50 lb. bow?  Let's assume the shot placement is spot on for both arrows.  The thread about the lightest bow to use ethically while hunting got me to thinking about this.....I hope this makes sense to someone out there.  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Arrow speed vs bow/arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
I apologize if this topic has been addressed, but I could not find it.  All things being equal, if a 60 lb bow shoots a 600 grain arrow at 160 fps and a 50 lb bow shoots a 500 grain arrow the same speed, is the relative effectiveness the same while hunting?  I'm guessing the heavier arrow would do more damage, but if it is a pass through shot, does it really matter?  What would the difference be if 600 grain arrow in the 60 lb bow was slower than the 500 grain arrow in the 50 lb. bow?  Let's assume the shot placement is spot on for both arrows.  The thread about the lightest bow to use ethically while hunting got me to thinking about this.....I hope this makes sense to someone out there.  ;D
E=1/2M V2 Is the energy in the arrow, so if the velocity is the same the heavier arrow has more energy.
If you increased arrow weight say 20grn at a time and measured velocity for each increase, you could then plot E for each arrow weight, there would me a maximum where the bow was most efficient, above that weight of arrow the arrow speed would fall and it lose energy, below that weight the increased speed wouldn't make up for the loss of mass.
This opimum depends on the bow design, for a warbow it is most efficient with a heavy arrow.

Del
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:12:40 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:12:02 pm »
Hey, if your arrow slips perfectly between ribs as long as you have a sharp broadhead even a 300gr arrow from a 30# bow will probably be good, however in real hunting situations we gotta expect all kinds of variables where penetration will be indered,.......for that reason I rather shoot the heavyes bow & arrow combination I'm comfortable with.

.......the perfect world isn't there and things will go wrong  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:05 pm »
I agree with Manny. All else being equal, shoot the heaviest you're capable of drawing. However, if you're more comfortable and accurate with the 50# bow, then by all means don't try the 60# one. Just save it for practice.

Most deer are pretty "easy" to kill, and even easy to get a shot on broadside if you use a stand. Anything bigger and I might consider the extra oomph necessary, but not quite for Bambi :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:52 pm »
Funny how we are going to hi tech mathemetics to quantify what some skin wearing rock knockers figured out while trying to feed their families!  Man I love this sport!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:26 pm »
Funny how we are going to hi tech mathemetics to quantify what some skin wearing rock knockers figured out while trying to feed their families!  Man I love this sport!

Very true ;D! But thanks to genius thinkers like Tim Baker, Steve Gardner, Marc St. Louis, et al our simple wooden sticks shoot better than their simple wooden sticks ;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:31:22 pm »
I hate to admit it ;D but I agree with Manny..  ;) in real hunting situations there are too many variables to consider when asking what is the best equipment to use.. If it can go wrong it will.. use what gear you are comfortable with and practice, practice.. a well places arrow from a light bow penetrating lets say eight inches... will kill far better than a poor placed arrow from a 75 pounder with 600 grain arrows going all the way through.. use what you know.. and remember to pick a spot...Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

salad days

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:33:07 pm »
I'm suprised no one has brought up the arrow design factor. what does every one think Dr. Ashby's study? Not trying to start a new thread here, just that it's related to penetration.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:37:00 pm »
I'm suprised no one has brought up the arrow design factor. what does every one think Dr. Ashby's study? Not trying to start a new thread here, just that it's related to penetration.

....I try get the highes FOC I can on my arrows
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 02:44:07 pm »
A  thoughtful  question,
 with  lots  of  variables,
a  heavy  bow  generally propels the  same  arrow  from  a  lighter  bow  faster,
imparting  more  energy to  the  arrow;
but  this  is  not  always  the  case  however,
a   lighter draw bow  may  have  very  efficient  limbs  that  are  faster than another  bow  of  another design with a  heavier  draw,
by  properly  matching the arrow  to the  bow you  may  get  as  much  speed from  the  lighter  bow  as  you  do  the heavier  bow;
     however  as  you begin to shoot a  heavier  arrow the  heavier  bow will continue  to  propel  the  heavier  arrow at a  given  speed while the  lighter  bow  with  fast  limbs but  with  a weaker  draw will begin  to propel  the  heavier  arrows  slower,  reducing  penetration, range,  etc.
    Since  bows  kill  mostly  by bleeding  lighter  bows work very  well,
until you engage heavier  targets, with  more tissue and  bone  to  penetrate,
in  which  case a faster  heavier  arrow will  penetrate much  better,
increasing  the  lethality,  and  perhaps  increasing your range.

Disclaimer:  Discussing  this  topic  may cause brain damage
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:55:00 pm by zeNBowyer »
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 06:23:18 pm »
Shoot the heaviest bow you can shoot accurately, and shoot heavier arrows. 600 grains is better than 300 grains, as I'd rather have a pass through with two holes leaking than one. Hunting, for me, is all about penetration, not trajectory, because I don't shoot at game past 20 yards.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 06:34:40 pm »
DEAD IS DEAD....THE DEER DOESN'T KNOW IF YOU SHOT HIM WITH A 45# BOW OR A 145# BOW. IT'S ALL ABOUT SHOT PLACEMENT AND SHARP BROAD HEADS.  ;D SHOOT WHAT YOU SHOOT THE BEST WITH AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS...... ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:56:23 pm »
Personally, I've always like the idea of taking a deer hunting bow out for SUV's. But hey- maybe that's just me :)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 07:21:32 pm »
...THE DEER DOESN'T KNOW IF YOU SHOT HIM WITH A 45# BOW OR A 145# BOW.

Not completly true, hit a scapula or some heavy bone and there will be a difference, ( things go wrong sometimes, no matter how good of a shot you are).......than again deer is pretty soft game, but still...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:30:20 am by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 08:02:41 pm »
"But thanks to genius thinkers like Tim Baker, Steve Gardner, Marc St. Louis, et al our simple wooden sticks shoot better than their simple wooden sticks"

Kegan your aweful generous, have you met these knuckle heads? ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada