Author Topic: Baker Bow Hazel BB #4 KEENEN & GORDAN  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Blacktail

Baker Bow Hazel BB #4 KEENEN & GORDAN
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:47:05 pm »
Months ago I got the Bowyers Bible number 4 and on the front cover is Tim Bakers purple plum bow with the bark on and ever since seeing the cover I really wish I could make a bow like this. But I didnt have any purple plum. But one day it clicked in my head that I did have a piece of hazel that had the bark on it. So anyhow, I was really hoping that I could make a stick that would replicate Tim Bakers bow. My only goal was to keep the bark on. So I did some shaping and tillering and started the tillering stage but I was having some problems with the tillering because it seemed like I was having an optical illusion in the tillering. So I set up a date with Keenen to get some final tillering done on this. When Keenen saw this bow, he said "Man I like this a lot, do you know what bow this one looks like?" And at the same time we said, "The bow on the front cover of the Bowyers Bible Vol 4 by Tim Baker." Keenen asked me what I was shooting for in draw weight and draw length. And again, my only goal was to keep the bark on. So Keenen grabbed his phone and said "I know just who to call." He started dialing away and I asked "Are you calling who I think your calling?" He replied "Yes I am calling guru Gordan." And if I have this right, I believe Gordan said with his experience in hazel, the bark pops off at about 21-23 inches. So anyhow, this is the specs on the stick. It is a bend through the handle, at the fade outs it is 1 1/2, knocks are 5/8ths, the handle is corded brown hemp, and for Gordan, it draws 25 inches 46 lbs, and the bark is still on (so far) but the bark is showing signs of stress. This is my little baby and I want to thank Keenen so much for using his perfect tillering eyes.

Offline Keenan

Re: Baker Bow Hazel BB #4 KEENEN & GORDAN
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:04:10 pm »
 That's a sweet little bow John . I like the handle wrap that you did. Sure looks just like Tim's Plum bow on TBB# 4 .  The way your canted in the shot it looks like the bottom is bending more but I'm sure it's just the angle.   That a fun little bow to shoot.  Still love the look of the bark on the back, Congratulations. ;)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »
Nice bent stick !  ;D  ;)  ;D Very primitive looking.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

radius

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »
it's great, man, i love it

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:44:31 pm »
looks like i forgot to say tbb#4...thanks keenan,ryano,radius...i had alot of fun with keenan and learned awhole lot justing talking with him...john

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »
that is one sweet bow... you should know better than to get involved with keenan, he is one infected person and enjoys infecting others >:D hope the bark stays on for you.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:16:23 pm »
Very nice! jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »
thanks guys...dave,i know what you mean about keenan..he was shooting this stick and acting like a junky on crack.... ;D ;D...big hug for you keenan  O:) O:)...john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:51:58 pm »
 ;D O:)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 01:36:00 am »
I'm pleased that the bark stayed on for you, it sure makes for a nice looking bow. Congratulations!
Gordon

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 05:54:32 am »
That is awesome.  I love the look of the bow on TBB 4 and you nailed it.  That is one of the best looking bows I've seen in quite a while.  Very well done.
Traverse City, MI

Offline gmc

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:24 am »
Very nice, love the handle wrap!
Central Kentucky

Offline Barrage

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:53 am »
Very well done bow, looking good.  I just started a bark on saskatoon sapling a week ago because, same as you, I always thought the bow on the cover of TBB4 was simple and gorgeous.
Travis

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:08:36 am »
thanks guys,hey barrage,i hope it really comes out...from what i have seen sapling are the best for this...i think it because the bark is younger and stretches..and simple is all ways a good way to go...i have all ways loved bows that have a natural look or a very primitive look..thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:40 am »
Very nice bow. I love the look with the bark left on...but I have had bad experiences with other woods. The secret might be using saplings like you said. I'll have to try another and see.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC