Author Topic: TX Biface  (Read 2151 times)

Offline n2everythg

TX Biface
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:54 pm »
Well still havnt made any points out of the material david and I brought back from TX. Been concentrating on spalling and bifacing it out and getting it ready for heat.

Shannon - Glad to see someone is making points out of the stuff.  :)

Some doesnt even seem to need any heat hardly.
beat out this biface tonight:

Gonna be on the road for work for the next 3 weeks so will miss out on knappin. So I been beating  some of it up and having fun.
Big piles of debitage... fun, fun, fun...
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline FlintWalker

Re: TX Biface
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:17:58 pm »
That would be a fun one for me to break Wade ::)
 I think you're right about the heat thing.  Some of that you sent me seems a little over cooked, almost too brittle. Then some of it was juuust right. I think it had to do with the condition of the rock before hand. ???
 I also noticed the areas within the rock that I've beat on that had a good bit more gloss, was the areas that seemed like it had been over heated.
 It's pretty good rock, but I think it has a lot of inconsistency from rock to rock.
 Still fun to whoop on though ;D
 Good luck with that piece.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:20:11 pm »
yea hear u shannon. took that last bit up to 550 for 12 hrs. Havnt beat on it much but what I did I noticed the same thing. some got too hot. some of the coarser stuff no waxy at all. Think part of it had to do with where it was positioned in the cooker also. hotter round the sides.

think the next batch I will only take to 450 or so and prob position the coarse stuff round the edges and put the good stuff in the middle where I think it is not as hot.

oh well. have fun beating on it. I will.

that biface was from the middle of a big tab. just kept getting better and better the more I beat on it. Let me know when u run out and by then I will have figured out the heat thing maybe. If I got any left we can do some swappin.
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:30 am »
That's a nice biface Wade. I can see a big spear point in there - ya see it ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:25 am »
Nice lookig piece Wade. I need to try and trade you out of some of that. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 06:46:47 pm »
Whatcha got TJ?

david has a big box of it all spalled out also but not heat treated.

maybe he will trade you for a hunk of that rhyolite :)

N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:35:03 pm »
I got raw texas perd and some dacite.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!