Author Topic: Pictures Raw Material  (Read 9957 times)

Offline warhawk

Pictures Raw Material
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:00:47 am »
Just an idea so some of us guys can get a feel for what to look for why dont the guys who have access to raw material show us guys some pictures of sites or what to look for. the abilites of one knapper are to improve and pass knowledge. I know some knappers hold dearly to theirs secrets and that ok but to increase you have to increase the base. If the big boys dont want ot play thats ok. Its just an idea. I learn to knapp form Waldorf book and i wish that i could be  trained by a Master knapper to improve my skills. Well i hope that the older members take it to heart.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Pictures Raw Material
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:41 am »
there are places to get rock.. like Nehers in Flint ridge OH and The Navaculite pit in AR. there open sites to the public and the rock is only 25 or 50 cents a lb. and you only pay for what you take.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:49:17 am »
warhawk I am trying to track down some places now where we can get some rhyolite. If I am successful I will let you know. Then we could all get together and get a big haul. NC dose not have much flint, It is mostly quartz, rhyolite.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »
Nugget your a true master ok i was just trying to flatter you and i also repeated my self on the message board sorry.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:15:28 pm »
its amazing there are 105 looks and only 2 comments other then mine. I wonder why?

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:53:48 pm »
Wouldn't do you much good to show you my spot.  Getting rock involves sitting neck deep in a creek and feeling for it in the sand.  Not something I like to do this time of year.  Bill

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:20:34 pm »
nugget im going to look for some ryolite pm me if you want ride with me.
bryan irwin

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:00:51 pm »
I gotta few raw material pics if I can find em. Everybody knows I love raw material pic's. This is all from TX, some down south and some north. Oh and some from AL. Anywho, all it takes is gettin out there and hitten em to see what's inside.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:06:06 pm »
Here's a few more ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:39 pm »
omg there is so much rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!are they trying to grow stuff in a field of rock?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline warhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »
Cowboy i got  Say thanks, the value in any activity which involves just basic knowledge will help those of us who need to find sites or knowing the value of going into a creek and showing what types of rocks i need to look at increases the ability of all knappers. My feeling was that this part of this website was about imparting all aspects of knowledge involved in flint knapping from raw material, tools, how to heat rock and what are the results even if you show a picture of a badly heat rock. As little as some persons may think the little things are the foundations of the bigger pictures. I really want to learn and this site provides a media for me>

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 11:49:37 pm »
Believe it or not, they grow corn and cotton in those fields of rock. The farmer asked me if I had a simi and loader to haul off the rocks :D.

Glad I could be of help warhawk!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 12:13:31 am »
If we ever get a chance to get together I will show you what some rock looks like raw and heat treated. I have some of both, and what to look for around here in NC
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 05:45:04 pm »
I want to get together and i have some raw obsidian i can give you i got it from Oregon via internet. The idea was fro me to reduce into spalls but then i found out about rock saws. Hey how about i send you some of this raw material and you cut it up for me you keep half< this is just an idea. Or you could send me some different type of rocks to knapp give me a PM.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 07:56:22 pm »
cowboy, you can be my santa!!  seriously, what ou want to rade for some large nodguels?