Author Topic: Strength of Tie-Ons  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Kegan

Strength of Tie-Ons
« on: December 01, 2009, 06:49:27 pm »
I'm working on a set of new birch hunting arrows when I realized I'd need some heavier broadheads. Tying to open my options from just glue-ons, I tried an old test point arrow I had to see how well it would hold up. So I shot it, about 4 yards, straight into a tree from my nearly 90# white oak and sinew bow (about 83# at the draw I shot it with). Only damage was the glue came undone on the blade (ie fixable). That's the point... doesn't look like it really minded, does it?

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting! Certainly opened my eyes :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Strength of Tie-Ons
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:39 pm »
cool keegan! how did you get it outta the tree trunk?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »
he pulls them out by hand :D
after all he pulls them massive poundage bows all the time
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:56 pm »
A glancing blow on bone could jar it loose but it can do that with store bought points too. Most of the pressure is straight back into the shaft so if you have a good wrap behind the point a straight on hit shouldn't be a problem.
  With pitch glue you could fix it without untying the wrap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:57:32 am »
I got it out by "tapping" it with a hatchet and "wiggling" it loose ;).

Pat- I've had alot of glue on arrow heads break the shaft on impact from glancing blows, just as well as tie ons. When I started though, I noticed that the little give in the sinew was never as bad as the small taper on the shafts for glue ons (especially on larger diamater arrow shafts), and I didn't see a big difference. So whenever I test a new head or home made glue on I just shoot it directly into a tree. I've had more than a few prove to be less than durable that way :-X. Were the shaft not on its last stretch, I would have just smeared a little eopxy in the crack with a piece of paper and I'm sure it would have been good as new :).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:17:42 am »
If your arrows hold up to shooting into a tree with an 80# bow, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about as far as hunting arrow durability.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:04 am »
Yeah I agree with PatB.  Mine tear up from hitting the hay bale wrong, LOL.   ;D  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:20 pm »
If your arrows hold up to shooting into a tree with an 80# bow, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about as far as hunting arrow durability.  ;)

I dunno, trees seem to love reaching out and grabbing my arrows from flight ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 03:36:25 pm »
I don't know of a cure for irate trees stepping in front of our arrows. Just something we have to deal with!  ::)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:26:24 pm »
I don't know of a cure for irate trees stepping in front of our arrows. Just something we have to deal with!  ::)

the best cure for that
cut the damn tree down and make bows out of it >:D ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »

the best cure for that
cut the damn tree down and make bows out of it >:D ;D

They're always cherry- pretty useless for 75# bows >:D

Offline flecha

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 02:16:04 pm »
Why did you set the point so far down in the shaft?
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »
Flecha- I don't remember. I believe I was just trying to give it more support. Considering how much more the sinew held it than the wood though, I won't set them back so far in the future.

Offline flecha

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »
Interesting to here your thoughts and experiences.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

half-eye

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »
Kegan,
      I hunt with both types of heads. I bought some trade points that were suppossed to be 170 grains but actually weighed 134 so I tied some up "as-is" for some young hunters pulling 40# bows that I made for them. The others I retied with stainless picture hanging wire so the head would weigh enough. Didn't shoot them into a tree....but my shed is double walled 3/4" plywood. The arrows would penetrate right up to the shaft from my 60# self bow....I removed them by locking vise-grips onto the blade with the handle touching the arrow shaft and used that for leverage. I did not have any trouble what so ever with damaged arrows or heads. After 20 or so shots I did re-coat the artificial sinew with some more clear lacquer. Here's a couple of pics of my old arrows. By the way the wire wrap does NOT impede penetration on deer, at least the one I used the arrow on.
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]