Author Topic: has anyone ever made a bow out of an old hockey stick shaft> would it work?  (Read 5626 times)

davies7

Hello, i have made 2 bows in my life both longbows out of redoak i am 13 years old and only one was succesful i have an old wooden hockey stick layin around and was wondering if i cut off the blade could i use the rest for a board to make a bow out of ? any ideas or expirience would be grately appreciated

Offline Kegan

I doubt it would be as good, or as forgiving, as a full hardwood board. But if the hocky stick is made of a hardwood, might as well try it (provided it's old and unusable... think red oak would be a cheaper alternative at that point ;)).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I agree with Kegan. It would probably work but why ruin a hockey stick. Make another red oak bow or go cut yourself a stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

;D first wood bow I ever made was from a hockey stick..had some dude named "Wayne" written on it... ;)   You will get a 30# bow , and its probably good ash too..

Where I live a hockey stick is only useful for flinging rocks..probably good I made a bow from it, and kept me out of trouble..

Offline youngbowyer33

i'd do it but id back it also
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Dano

"Some Dude named Wayne" you are a funny man Rich. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline zeNBowyer

I  tried  it  once  but  I  pucked  it  up:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
A bow out of a hockey stick, Rich? LOL. Run out of ipe? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
I  tried  it  once  but  I  pucked  it  up:)

LOL
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Strip all the paint off of it first and check the grain out before you cut it down.  That way, if the grain sucks for a bow, you don't screw up a hocky stick...then you can paint it back real nice and sell it for enough to buy a hickory or maple bow from the hardwod yard...or another red oak board from Lowes.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry