Author Topic: Shot in czech  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Jaro

Shot in czech
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:32:42 am »
Hello, these are the results from shot we did in autumn in czech. It was shot in temperatures around 5-10C and some crosswind.
We only had 6 bows for 9 people haha, no doubt to fact that Pajas yew bow demised due to cold and Marc st Luis bow finally gave out in one limb (and me being lazy and not making bow for myself).
Nevertheless, I still think the distances are fairly good, especially those shot with bows of mere 100#.

Galery for your viewing pleasure (or not) :

http://picasaweb.google.com/martin.kovac05/Medlanky2009#

I shot borrowed bow of 130/32", which I can only draw to 30" (as usuall) with my fingers much taped with hockey tape, due to old injury which never gives up.)

Jaro

Offline zeNBowyer

Re: Shot in czech
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:51 am »
So  Jaro
are  you  saying  yew  bows  fail around freezing  temps?  That  would  be  suprising,
I've  seen Art  Young  in  pictures  hunting  with   yew  bows  in  the  NW  and  Alaska
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »
Nice pictures Jaroslav.  Did that HHB give out during this shoot?  You must have put thousands of arrows through that bow.  I guess you need another?  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Rod

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:05 pm »
So  Jaro
are  you  saying  yew  bows  fail around freezing  temps?  That  would  be  suprising,
I've  seen Art  Young  in  pictures  hunting  with   yew  bows  in  the  NW  and  Alaska

Never had that problem myself and I have shot the same good self yew bow in conditions ranging from summer heat in Missouri to all day in snow and sleeting conditions in the Lincolnshire fens in February.
The weather at either extreme affected the archer far more than the bow.

On the other hand I have seen a hickory backed yew of 50lb or so DW that was left for a few nights in an unheated shed during a cold spell here in the UK and the moisture content must have frozen, it felt like an ice cube fresh out the freezer and would not bend at all, trying to brace it would certainly have broken it.

Nice pictures.
What is that scary looking bow that only bends in the handle?
Did you shoot a scoring clout?
That clout boss looks a tad small to me, or the ring it sits in too big...   ;)

Rod.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:24:32 pm by Rod »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:31:29 pm »
  Cool pictures, Jaro. I'm curious about that bow also. Is it a reflex/deflex Warbow?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jaro

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:56:23 am »
Hello Eddie! I didnt knew you still were around - yes, its not english bow though. It was made by Peter Pauk (Cornus) from piece of black locust which had natural high reflex. He used steam to deflex the middle. Its actually quite triangular when you brace it, but as you draw basically only the outer part of the limbs moves, as usually with this design. It has very full R/D curve, it feels like drawing anchor from beginning. Unfortunatelly it was left with wide tips. It has other wise potential to shoot 20 meters more. I got it as a gift from fellow bowyer at the event.
I shall handplane the last 15 cm of tip down to something normall and then we see.

The yew bow - well, it might have gone due to more reasons than one, it was made out of this "funny" yew, which has strange relation between the stiffness and weight - very light and stiff wood, park grown. Paja commented that it felt very stiff when he drawn it (but he didnt mind and drew more, where it went). It was very well made otherwise, both what concerns tips and tiler and crossection. No follow either. 125#/32 1/2". But it was my understanding that yew bows stiffen when taken to the cold. (Speaking of which I dont remember if it was taken from temperate room, but it should have enough time to adapt anyway.)

Jaro

Rod

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:47:11 am »
The stiffening seems to be worse with a higher moisture content...

Offline Jaro

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:15 am »
What do you think about distances? The arrows though to the BLBS standard are not too refined.

J.

Offline Jaro

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:01:12 am »
Nice pictures Jaroslav.  Did that HHB give out during this shoot?  You must have put thousands of arrows through that bow.  I guess you need another?  :)

Thanks Marc. Well that bow seen lots and lots of arrows and it was much tortured. Around year ago, it pulled splinter, which I repaired. It pulled eventually one big on lower limb, which my buddy I gave it to train with repaired by laminating fabric and string over it. It was pretty hinged then.
Then we lent it to that lad (Rivan) who has nice target bow by me, but none heavy to qualify for this competetion, for bows of at least 80# were allowed. He only drawn like 27" and still got decent distance with BLBS standard arrow, even though the bow was already gone.
That was a good bow. Thank you.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:01:20 pm »
 Ha, Jaro. It seems you have been the stranger lately. I'm glad to see you posting. Thanks for the pictures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jaro

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:00:46 am »
I havent wrote much to forums anywhere lately. Anyway here are the distances, which I have forgotten to include originally.

http://hawkwind.sweb.cz//vysledkyturnaje.doc

Let me know what you think.

J.

Offline Purbeck

• English Warbow Archer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:24 am »
Jaro

Thanks for posting the distances and the excellent photos. It is great to see such a good group getting together to shoot the warbow in CR.

What is Cesmina wood like and where does it grow?

Ed

Offline Jaro

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:05:25 am »
I wrote there simply cesmina, the species is actually cupressus notkanensis (I think). It grows in parks, it really isnt much of the wood for longbows, it follows the string alot, comes awfully big and its somehow spongy. The bow in question actually shoots quite well and its sweet to draw, but it has very much recurved tips, to dimnish the bad effects of string follow.

J.

Offline akila

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 01:28:37 pm »
I havent wrote much to forums anywhere lately. Anyway here are the distances, which I have forgotten to include originally.

http://hawkwind.sweb.cz//vysledkyturnaje.doc

Let me know what you think.

J.

Jaro...what arrows did u shoot??? 10 grains per pound, or  heavier...?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:50:02 pm by akila »

Offline Jaro

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 05:55:05 pm »
The flightshot was shot with BLBS Standard arrow that is minimum of 52 grams or 800 grain, so its easy to get the idea.

Jaro