Author Topic: Wanting to find some knapped hunting points  (Read 1975 times)

americanhunter7

Wanting to find some knapped hunting points
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:55:18 pm »
I am new to primitive and am wanting to find someone who makes hunting (bird points) heads for my primitive arrows. I am still learning to knap and haven't really found my notch, so to speak. I would appreciate any help finding someone who can knap some points for my arrows, until such a time as I can do it for myself.
Thanks,
John

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: Wanting to find some knapped hunting points
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »
Where are you?  If you can sit down with an experienced knapper, you should be able to make points from flakes after just a little practice, usually about 3-5 hours.  Bill 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:09:05 pm »
That's a fact. You can make your own out of glass, like bottle bottoms, plate glass, etc. They don't have to be beautiful, just pointy and functional :). Round ya up some basic tools and materials and like Bill said - sit in with somebody. Or you can start with a book, video, utubes. You'll be makin bird points in no time flat ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:09:17 am »
dude it really isnt as hard as it seems
it just takes the drive,desire and practice
hell 11 months back i didnt have a clue how to do it,today i can make stuff that pass as points and blades
some even look real good every once and awhile too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:30:40 pm »
Since you are new to PA, another suggestion would be to trade for points. Go to the trade area and offer up a trade for some points. The people on here are always willing to swap stuff.

americanhunter7

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:32:14 am »
I am located in southern Indiana, and do have a few books on the subject of knapping, including D.C. Waldorff's book. Like I said, I am still learning....Have broken more points than I've made...and can't quite get things thinned down as much as they should be. Still tryin though.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:17 am »
its really not hard man. if you start with one of those square booze bottles, the glass is already really thin, you just got to shape it and get an edge on it.
lets just shoot it