Author Topic: Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"  (Read 13757 times)

Offline akila

Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"
« on: December 12, 2009, 05:53:11 pm »
Hello guys....this is my new long bow that i have made this days...i did not care aboute the artistic part so much...i wass trying to see what distance can i obtain with such a bow....so...i start making an long bow... the wood is ash....the bow is 68.50" nok to nok.... pulling 61.73@30"....the ratio is aboute 5/7  on this bow...the belly of the bow is oval....the tips are verry narrow...final mass on this bow is 18.34oz....the distance that i wass shoting today wass 214 yards with a bamboo arrow that wass 617 grains...this mean a ratio that is 10 grain per pound... the distance  wass measure verry exactly....wi have some markers, on diferent distance, and wi measure evreithing verry precise...i dont know iff its a good dostance or not...but i wanted to share  this with u...it wass a great feeling shooting this bow., becose i usuly shoot  bows between 40-45 lbs...and i dont draw the bow at 30"....i usuly shot on target and  i only draw it to 28"...the feeling wass realy fantastic, and i think i will start making another bow like this, a little heavier then this one...well...enugh talking...i put  some pictures...

Here is the nok of the bow....the nok is made in the wood of the bow...the bow wass fine, and the nok seam to be ok...

Here is the bow right after tillering...the set is zero at this stage...

Here u can see the bow with a simple finish on him...some natural dye, some leather on the handle, the final finish wass some shelack to protect him .....in the last photo u can see the bamboo arrow....617 grains....the point of the arrow is hand forged by me....this is the arrow  that flight 214 yards...its the  single arrow that i have, wich respect the 10grain per pound ratio....i wass shooting also a carbon fibre arrow....it wass 308 grains....this mean a 4.9 ratio gr/pound....the arrow flight wass 277 yards...
 Here is a photo with the bow at full draw...

And the bow tight after it wass unstrung...

It wass a great day....a little chillie outside....the winter is here and is freezing outside....ohh..i allmost forgot....it wass no wind outside....i hope i will like  the bow.....the critics are also aprecieted by me... ;D...bye all..

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:21:52 pm »
I love that tiller. That is a classic tiller for the longbow. Well done. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »
hey akila! That's a really nice tiller, classic as jawge says!
Frank from Germany...

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:23:36 pm »
Nice bow and great tiller, Akila.  61.73#@30" ! Is that an exact measurement? ;D  ::)
 As always, very nice work!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PeteDavis

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:00 pm »

Great bow!

PD

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:17:34 pm »
Hi all and thks for your compliments ...i use a convertor to make the transformation from metric unit in inchi, pounds, etc... ::)...im not  yet use to this punds, inchi, feet, etc, stuff...thks alot for  your compliments..

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »
That's a great bow Akila. Good job.I really like the tiller. One question though. Did you cut into the back on your nocks?  I did once.While stretching the new string,the limb split 6'' deep, separating a growth ring .End of that elm stave. :o.It may just be the picture.If I'm seeing it incorrectly,forgive me. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hoot

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »
Akila,
That sure looks good.  Great work! 

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 09:54:59 pm »
 Very nice bow, The tiller looks excellent and I like the full draw picture. Congratulations.

AKmud

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
Great looking bow!  I really like the simple, straight forward design. 

quercusalba

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »
Foarte frumos! I hope that's right, my Romanian is not so good.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:32 pm »
Yeah that is super cool, I have some ash and you make me want to try this sort of design. How wide is your bow near the handle and at the tips?
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 12:50:39 am »
It does look like the nock is cut into the back of the bow. Not thought to be the best practice.

That is an amazing distance the bow is shooting an arrow. Also amazing performance for ash. Ash can do well, but this is remarkable!

Nice work.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 02:46:10 am »
Akila, as like the other bows you have posted in the past.i like this one too.
the tiller is perfect for this style of bow,i really like the simplicity of the bow.
the distance it shoots a 10gpp arrow,awesome brother just awesome

but like others i have to ask,did you cut hte nock into the back of the bow,or is that pic from the belly side?
keep up the nice work

peace,
                                                                                 tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 05:32:45 am »
Simple and elegant. I love elb style bows. The full draw picture looks really great, there is something special about watching an arrow disappear into the sky, specially if you made the bow yourself!

Nat