Author Topic: Book Reprint?  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Book Reprint?
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:03:08 am »
I'm guessing that The Great Warbow : A History of the Military Archer is out of print right now.  Does anyone know if there are plans for a reprint?

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Loki

Re: Book Reprint?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:30:08 am »
The Great Warbow by Strckland and Hardy is still available,is that the book your after?
£60 from Amazon UK!! My copy cost £13 when it was still in print.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Great-Warbow/Matthew-Strickland/e/9780750931670

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Warbow-Robert-Hardy/dp/0750931671
Durham,England

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:00:13 am »
That's the one.  I'm seeing prices that go from $50 to $250.  If it is being reprinted soon, I'd rather spend the 13 Pounds.

Swamp

Offline Loki

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:51 pm »
It's not listed for sale on the Publishers website,if you shoot them an email I'm sure they'll tell you if they have any plans to reprint it.
http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/

Anything specific you want to reference? I can look it up for you in my copy.
Durham,England

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:52 pm »
Thanks Loki.  I'll send them an email.  Sure, I'd like to know what's in chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3...  ;D  I really do appreciate it.  I want a copy of my own though, just a matter of if I buy now or wait.  I've got a serious weakness for books that interest me.

Swamp

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:38:59 pm »
I have the book and was just a little disappointed by it.  There is a small technical appendix dealing with some  experimental data - but much more with the mathematical models for distance, weight, speed and penetration etc. which were hinted at in Hardy's eearlier book.  The rest of "The Great Warbow" is a history of its tactical use in various battles, which is great if that is what you are interested in.  Strickland's main thesis is that the longbow only came into its own once the tactic of using dismounted men at arms and archers together was developed.

If you are intersted in the military history and tactics its good, but there is comparatively little info in it about the bows.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:56:11 pm »
I have the book and was just a little disappointed by it.  There is a small technical appendix dealing with some  experimental data - but much more with the mathematical models for distance, weight, speed and penetration etc. which were hinted at in Hardy's eearlier book.  The rest of "The Great Warbow" is a history of its tactical use in various battles, which is great if that is what you are interested in.  Strickland's main thesis is that the longbow only came into its own once the tactic of using dismounted men at arms and archers together was developed.

If you are intersted in the military history and tactics its good, but there is comparatively little info in it about the bows.

Thanks, that may move the book around on my "to be acquired list" a little.  Still want it, but there are a few others I want now as well.  We shall see what I feel like when I am ready to order.  ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 11:06:45 pm »
I too was rather disappointed with the book. It's a very difficult read... more like an historical text. I have a hard time staying awake while reading it. Not much technical info on the bows, either.
Hugh Soar's book "The Secrets of the English Warbow" is a much better read.

Offline Davepim

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:14:33 am »
The book "Arrow Storm" by Richard Wadge is meant to be very much better.

Dave

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:27 am »
Thanks.  Hummm the list seems to always get bigger not smaller.  :'(  We will see what funds are available after my annual Medieval Pottery book shopping spree in Hoehr-Grenzhausen.  Gonna be cold...

Swamp

Rod

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 10:50:47 am »
I also consider "Arrowstorm" by Richard Wadge to be much better value for money for anyone interested in the socio-economic background.
"The Great Warbow" is the bigger book, if size is what you want, and it has more pictures.
I browse through Strickland, but I read Wadge.

Rod.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:09:11 am »
Thanks.  You know what they say, "size isn't everything".  ;D  I'm interested in the actual bows, social impact, and the military use.  Amazing what you can get a hold of these days. Again, the list keeps growing.

Swamp

Yewboy

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:46:13 am »
Agreed Rod!
Richard Wadge's book is probably the most informative and well researched book of them all, He is also a very close friend, so if anyone wants a signed copy let me know.
Cheers
Steve

Offline Davepim

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 06:08:15 am »
Steve,
    I wouldn't mind one; should've picked one up when I was over! :-[

Dave

Yewboy

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15:11 am »
No problem Dave I will keep one for you mate.