Author Topic: Eagle Feathers  (Read 19302 times)

Offline Michael C.

Eagle Feathers
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:08:53 pm »
Does anyone know the difference between eagle feathers for fletching vs. other feathers? I know that they are illegal feathers, but I have a bird coming from the National Eagle Repository hopefully sometime in 2010. Just wanted to hear thoughts about the possible differences in fletching and if it is worth using a few feathers for one or two arrows.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: Eagle Feathers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »
Wow, you're a raptor rehabber? If so, I applaud you!!!!

Eagle feathers were used as fletching by Native Americans and also in Europe and Asia. There are Japanese arrows fletched with eagle feathers. If you don't mind my saying so, a better use for the feathers is to donate them to any local tribes in your region. They have tremendous Spiritual value and they'll become heirlooms passed down for generations.
Living a dream...

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:25:01 pm »
Wow, you're a raptor rehabber? If so, I applaud you!!!!

Eagle feathers were used as fletching by Native Americans and also in Europe and Asia. There are Japanese arrows fletched with eagle feathers. If you don't mind my saying so, a better use for the feathers is to donate them to any local tribes in your region. They have tremendous Spiritual value and they'll become heirlooms passed down for generations.

Nope it's a dead one :) You have to jump through hoops to get them and wait 2-5 years to actually get them when you send off for them and it's been almost 5 for me. I called to update my address and phone # and they said it should be on it's way this coming year, so I got all excited.

I know there are historical precedents, but I didn't know if there were any amateur ornithologist out there who would know the difference in feather types and possible pros/cons to them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:30:20 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:40:31 pm »
Without special permitting it is illegal for you to posses eagle feathers..no matter if it were from a live or dead bird.
 The flight feathers of any large bird will make good fletching. The only drawback I see in using eagle feathers for fletching is 10 years in a federal penn and $10,000.00 fine! Other than that they will work well for fletchings. Even if you have the permit to use them, if a fed wildlife officer identifies them you are in for a hassle until it is cleared up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:53:40 pm »
Yeah I'm a registered Native American forgot to add that, but thanks for looking out for me. They make you go through your tribe to do a lot of the paper work and a bunch of other stuff, the hoops I was talking about. I'm sure they send paperwork (hopefully they will, but it is government) with the Eagle.

Sorry Steven T., but I might get in as much trouble as you would, if I sent you some.

I think I might give it a go on at least one then once it gets here, I will have to post some images once it's done, might be a good half year though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:44:31 pm by Michael C. »

Cicero

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:57:37 pm »
You better be sure what you are doing is completely legal before you post pic on the internet!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:03:32 pm »
Use them feathers for ceremony brother, they have a lot of power.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
You better be sure what you are doing is completely legal before you post pic on the internet!

I will I don't plan on getting them for awhile, so I have time to contact the right people and make sure. I know that we can use them in regalia (I'm planning on getting my son into fancy dancing) and religious items for the NA Church, but I thought it would be cool to make a replica of one of the old Comanche arrows and make it capable for shooting.

Cicero

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:36 pm »
I figured you must be NA or you couldn't get a permit at all. Only schools, museums, or NA can get permits.  I guess I am a little odd on this situation. I don't understand why you would use them on arrows that you will shoot. They are very sacred and very hard to come by. I would think ceremonial items would be a better use. Just my opinion though.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:18 pm »
A few months ago I was driving and saw a large bird on the side of the road, so I turned around to see what it was....turns out it was some type of eagle that was still fresh....had not even gotten stiff yet.  If I had called the proper authorities and they verified it was hit by a car, could I have kept the feathers or talons?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »
A few months ago I was driving and saw a large bird on the side of the road, so I turned around to see what it was....turns out it was some type of eagle that was still fresh....had not even gotten stiff yet.  If I had called the proper authorities and they verified it was hit by a car, could I have kept the feathers or talons?
NO! ! ! ! !
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »

Nope, it's just against the law unless it is a specific circumstance like a museum or such. If you go to the zoo and pick up a feather you can get in trouble, If I were to just pick up a dead bird on the side of the road even though I am NA I could get in the same trouble as Pat mentioned. You have to go through the correct venues in order to receive Eagle feathers and there are still laws, as Pat also mentioned, that even apply to NA on what they can be used for, but they are sort of blurry laws. I plan on making sure this whole thing is legal, even though I am fairly certain it is. I have seen many arrows made from eagle feathers and before anyone asks I wasn't into archery at the time and I haven't had the chance to call any of the people with said arrows to ask them if they know of anything special. I know that some were made for ceremony and others were made for shooting.  I had just gotten off the phone as I said and those other arrows I have seen came to mind and I thought someone on here might be aware of any special attributes they might have, on an arrow.

I don't mind the other comments and it's interesting for me to see the concern their is for making sure they are used in the right way, even some NA don't show as much concern and I am glad to see that the majority of you do. I grew up seeing these feathers being used in all sorts of things from regalia, to ceremonial items and also protective items on their cars, i.e. rear-view mirror decorations. I don't see anything wrong with using it on a traditional arrow other than some obscure law myself and I don't see it as being a violation of anything, that I've learned in the culture, as sacred. I would much rather see this feather on an arrow and being used for hunting than being bleached by the sun in my car  ;D I do plan on using the majority of them for the things all of you have mentioned and I appreciate your concern that they are used for the correct thing.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:03:15 pm by Michael C. »

Cicero

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »
 Holy Crap! eagle feathers are illegal.. just kidding!!!!!! I had to chime in..LOL... I have seen eagle feather arrows used and they were big medicine arrows on the rez (Cheyenne),they were wild rose shafts and flint tipped and looked  way cool. However as a hunting arrow I believe turkey and goose feathers were the choice of most tribes.. easier to get and tough.. Besides most tribes believe the eagle to be close to the creator so would never kill one, so feathers were and still are hard to come by. personally I would say that it is up to the individual what he does with his feathers once the feds say you are indian enough to believe....and have them.. so if you do build an arrow, for medicine or spiritual reasons good on you and hope it brings you some big medicine. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:56 pm »
 Oh Michael, the Cheyenne arrows I saw all had the power of lightning carved into the shafting...don't know if that will help or not.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »
I would not bother to use them on an Arrow that You planned on Hunting with....a Turkey Feather will hold up better....and are easier to get and ruin...plus there are too many NDN's out there that would be so honored to be gifted with an Authentic Feather for Ceremonial Use....as stated these would be passed on for Generations....here in Texas and New Mexico ....it is next to impossible to get a Bald Eagle Feather....once in a great while do you see an fallen Golden....but there are no Baldies here....please rethink the Useage for Arrows....and think of the Value of these to the NA Church and it's members....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome