Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian bows  (Read 7188 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Ancient Egyptian bows
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:12:38 pm »
Anyone here made any replicas of Ancient Egyptians bows (going off what's known)? Or any of the general style? I'd be interested in seeing pics if so. Thanks!
Living a dream...

Offline sailordad

Re: Ancient Egyptian bows
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »
i thought that was where the "pyramid style bow" came from
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:59:23 pm »
Someone a year or so ago posted a pic of an Egyptian style angular bow they had made.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:12:50 pm »
Hi All,  I recently pulled a back copy of PA that had an article on Egyptian bows.  I'm not home, so can't give the issue#.  That article  gives some info on general construction.   I know I've read at least one account of an attempted reconstruction, but I have no recollection of where I read that.  There is at least one page on the ATARN site that shos an Egyptian replica under construction  (http://www.atarn.org/islamic/egyptian_composite.htm)     
I'll be interested to see what anybody else comes up with.       Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:17:00 am »
Are you thinking of a composite bow or a self bow?

I think your first step is to get a copy of two books, "Tut'ankhamun's Tomb Series, III, Composite Bows from the Tomb of Tutankhamun," by W. McLeod, Griffin Institute, Oxford, and "IV, Self Bows and Other Archery Tackle from the Tomb of Tut'ankhamum." 

I hope to make a self bow later, as those are really very cool looking, with sweeping curves toward the archer, kind of strange designs. McLeod talks about construction fo the bows, what tools were available to the ancient bowyers, and there are tons of photos of all the bows, arrows, other gear, precise dimensions and measurments of each bow, all catalogued by Carter and photographed by him during the excavation. Also, strings and possible arrow quivers and cases, too. There are cross sections so you can see exactly what kind of laminations were used in the composite bows, and illustrations of nocks, quite a few varieties. Some of the photos are of how the bows were found in-situ in the tomb when they excavated. Some bows were guilded with gold leave and had intricate decorations, really beautiful work. Some were also unfinisehd bows, and he goes into the exact condition of those bows, too.

I got my copies from an online rare book dealer, they are long out of print, but worth the money just as a reference. The measurements are so precise, there is no guesswork if you wanted to make any of the bows in the books.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:13 pm »
Thanks! I was thinking of the self bows. I will start looking around for that book! I'm not anywhere near close to making a bow myself yet. But was wondering if anyone else had yet.
Living a dream...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 06:11:19 pm »
There is a video called "History of archery" I think and a guy shoots and shows one if that helps??
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:18:04 pm »
i thought that was where the "pyramid style bow" came from

LMAO

:P

;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 07:36:13 pm »
thank you MIke ;D

finally some one got it,i know it was lame but i couldnt help my self :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 09:38:31 pm »
Bada-bump-crash! Yes, thank you folks, he's here all week! Tip your waitresses and try the swiss steak and gravy!
Living a dream...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:32:09 am »
thank you MIke ;D

finally some one got it,i know it was lame but i couldnt help my self :D

Naa, I wasn't sure whether or not it was ment as a joke... 8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 12:11:39 pm »
Thanks! I was thinking of the self bows. I will start looking around for that book! I'm not anywhere near close to making a bow myself yet. But was wondering if anyone else had yet.

I haven't thus far made one of the self bows, but one guy I know who did one is on Paleoplanet. Orion I believe his screen name is. I've been meaning to ask him, but if you do, please let me know what he says.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts