Author Topic: Red osier arrows  (Read 12765 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Red osier arrows
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »
I will be getting some red osier shoots soon, and would love to hear about your process of making them into arrows.  How do you dry them, when to take the bark off, straightening, and on and on.  Would love to see some finished pictures if anyone has some also.  Take me through your process...................

Offline artcher1

Re: Red osier arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:33:48 pm »
I like to leave the bark on for two or three months after cutting and then heat straighten Charles. This leaves just enough moisture under the bark to help create steam which makes the initial straightening process much easier. From there, I will scrape off the bark and continue to heat/and straighten the shaft with my propane torch between each reduction (if needed).

Green wood doesn't scrape very well but once you heat temper the wood it'll work more like season wood. So heat your shaft up good and scrape down to the green wood again. Repeat the process until you get the shaft down to the correct diameter. After your final heat straightening I would suggest you put the shaft back for a spell to futher season out. You will be amazed what a year or two of seasoning will do for these shafts.ART

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:55:04 pm »
hi charles ;D

heres a pic of a couple of arrows and some shafts i have straightened

and one of the points

the arrow on the left with the point  and the one that is notched without a point are actually wild rose shafts,but all the other
shafts are red osier
they take heat well

i do as artcher1,dry for 2-3 months,then scrape and straighten.
i use a can of sterno for heat straightening though and not a torch.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »
Thanks Art and sailordad.  That will get me off on the right track I am sure. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:31:29 pm »
I scrape the bark off immediately, its much easier. Then rubberband them in bundles to dry.
Cut the shoots long and thicker than you think, at least 1/2" at the fat end.
After their dry and somewhat straight I use one of them $5 thumb planes to reduce them.
Also take the time to work at straightening them while thier green, do a little bit everyday if ya can.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:05:55 pm »
Too bad the bark has to come off. Then again, if you hit a critter real good, it'd be tough spotting the blood. ;D

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 04:30:34 am »
Red Osier has been my preferred arrow material for a number of years now, and it makes awesome arrows!

I cut the shoots in winter and let them sit for a week before removing the bark.  After the bark is removed I let them sit for another week before I begin hand-straightening.  This is done slowly, a little bit every day, as they dry.  You will find that MOST of the straightening can be done at this point, no heat required.  When they are straight, and will stay that way, they can be bundled and put away for seasoning.  I allow mine to season for a year.  Once they are fully seasoned I reduce them to the desired diameter and do some final heat-straightening.

My preferred tools for reducing the shafts are a hand plane and a cabinet scraper.  I recently began experimenting with a dowling jig from Lee Valley Tools which is proving to be very useful.

Jason
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:34:54 pm »
stringstretcher

keep an eye out for the mail man. in a few days you should have them  ;)

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:57:59 pm »
Thanks again

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:27 pm »
ya you betcha eh

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »
red ozier seems kinda weak, but that is when it is green, what spines are you getting from these shafts?

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 12:40:03 pm »
I can measure them for dia and spine them after I get them and let you know.  This is my first time working with them...so we will see.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 02:46:40 pm »
red ozier seems kinda weak, but that is when it is green, what spines are you getting from these shafts?

they seem weak when green lke ya said,however once they are dried they are much stiffer.after a year or so of seasoning they are even better
i dont hunt with them,only cause stone is illegal here. and all my primitive style arrows get stone on the end.most i make are for the wall.when i make one for hunting they get store bought metal broad heads.
but i do target shoot them and shoot at the wood fence.after 4-5 shots in the fence the split once and awhile.
as far as spine goes idont spine with any thing.i shoot naked shafts and what shoots good thru my bow thats what i make into arrows for target shooting
what doesnt shoot good becomes my wall ornaments

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 10:37:39 pm »
ya may want to check out the spine tester grunt just posted, could help you group your shafts. :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 10:52:35 pm »
i love his spine tester,but like i said
i just shoot them and see what flies the best
i keep my primitive,primitive ;)