Author Topic: Three Sticks that could use some checking...New pic added  (Read 2315 times)

Offline KShip85

Three Sticks that could use some checking...New pic added
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
OK, well here are the few current projects, two of them previously posted for checks and one of them making its first appearance. 

The first is the new one, and my first attempt and the ELB/Warbow design, a little lighter than I was hoping for, but probably about as much as I will get out of it.  It is Hackberry, 77 inches long and currently pulling a little over 80 lbs at 29 inches.  I feel its fairly symmetrical right now but wonder if the tips need to be doing some more bending as they look a little stiff.  I was hoping to maybe get something up to 120 or 130 but right now am not sure I'll even break the century mark at 32 inches.  Also the string is a little out of alignment and I think I will try to maybe steam bend it a little bit to get it to track better.

The Second is another hackberry.  It is more of an American longbow design, but I decided to flip the tips a little as the stave had about 3 inches of deflex at the start of it.  Didn't recurve them quite as much as I would have liked but am afraid of messing to much as it has turned into a nice shooter for me so far.  The last post of it it was pulling 80 lbs at 30.5 inches.  Top limb was a little stiff then so I scraped some and it still seems like it might be but thought I'd let the masters let me know for sure.  There is a little natural bend right at the fades on the top limb that make it look like it is bending too much just above my hand but it is in the wood I believe.  Anyway here is the updated picture of it, now pulling about 75 lbs at 30.5 inches.

The last bow is my second attempt at a cedar bow after having the first one blow in my face.  I posted it once as being finished but was not happy with it and decided to go back and work it a little from the comments posted.  It's 63 inches long, ERC backed with cotton canvas glued down with TBII pulling about 70 lbs at 25 inches.  I feel like I can pull it a little past that maybe but am hesitant to after exploding the last one.  I have put quite a few arrows through it and am pleased with it as a shooter, It is light in the hand and a zippy little shooter.

Anyway thanks for looking all and as always all of your comments are graciously received.  I count myself lucky to have wandered by this site and found all of you.  The addiction has become terminal and I have already marked two hophornbeams, an american hornbeam and a sycamore for harvest this summer.  I might just have to start sending out staves as thank-yous to all of those who have given me a helping hand!  Thanks again all!

Kip 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:52:48 am by KShip85 »
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline KShip85

Re: Three Sticks that could use some checking
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:37:48 pm »
OK, well after taking a moment to look at my bows on paint on the computer I noticed that the tiller on the ERC is atrocious.  I think it is slightly tilted in my hand which might throw it off some but the bottom limb is bending WAY farther than the top.  I took the scraper to it today and think I have it bending more evenly and have even gotten a little more draw length out of it.  Still not too sure about the other two, the flat reflex deflex hackberry I think is still bending a little more on the bottom than top, but the ELB hackberry really looks symmetrical to me, just not sure if I need to get the tips bending more.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Kip

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:29 pm »
k, I was going to suggest you work on the 3rd from mid limb on both limbs. The second looks very good. Looks like the upper limb has a bit of a reflex in it. First looks very good too. Son, those are some heavy bows there! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tombo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »
Nice Kip, love that Hackberry...tough and smooth. Oh to be young again with good shoulders, 80# !  ;D
Tom

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:13 pm »
you got a handfull with those 3 at the moment. they are coming along well man just make sure that cedar one gets the proper bend, im confident you can get it to 28 with ease especially with that backing. Anyway good luck Kship!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline KShip85

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:46:04 am »
Ok well here is a side by side of the ERC before and after some scraping.  I think I have got it bending better but the bottom still looks off.  Is part of the problem that I have the bow tilted down?  Looks a little to me like it is but I am not sure.  Middle third of the bottom limb maybe looks a little stiff too, what do you guys think?

Thanks again!

Kip

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Three Sticks that could use some checking...New pic added
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:15 am »
Looks to me like the middle part of the top is stiff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »
I agree  with pappy, I would remove alittle from upper limb and check. Denny

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »
KSHIP...if you are going to use My Elipse....use it right....... >:D...You must make sure that the Center is right on the Back of the Handle...and both ends of the Elipse intersect the Tips at the same point...none of you pictures are going to show you a true veiw..... also make sure that You are holding the Bow perpendicular to the Floor...has to be a Right Angle to show properly.... :P...and make sure that You are drawing the Bow parralel with the Bow...it looks to me like you are nocking highher than you have your hand centered...this too will mess with the all around picture of the Tiller...sorry I am being so blunt here..... :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:06:09 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline KShip85

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »
Lol, yeah I'm still trying to figure the ellipse out.  Seems like it is a handy tool...although a good tool used wrong still does not work.   ;D Anyway thanks for the pointer,  I'll try scraping dome more and then try getting another pic up but this time correctly using the ellipse tiller checking device   ;) !  Thanks again!!

Kip

Offline KShip85

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:18 pm »
KSHIP...if you are going to use My Elipse....use it right....... >:D...You must make sure that the Center is right on the Back of the Handle...and both ends of the Elipse intersect the Tips at the same point...none of you pictures are going to show you a true veiw..... also make sure that You are holding the Bow perpendicular to the Floor...has to be a Right Angle to show properly.... :P...and make sure that You are drawing the Bow parralel with the Bow...it looks to me like you are nocking highher than you have your hand centered...this too will mess with the all around picture of the Tiller...sorry I am being so blunt here..... :P

Hey thanks for reposting some corrected photos!  Glad to know that not only are you all more competent bowyers but also more competent in using computer programs ;). With  regards to the bluntness no worries, I'd rather be spoken to bluntly with honesty than spoken to softly with lies! Lol. I see what you mean about the nocking point too, I need to get a spot marked so I can find it better I guess :P. Anywho, thanks for the help!

Kip