Author Topic: band saw question  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Blacktail

band saw question
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »
i have a rigid 3/4 horse...the top wheel where the blade lye's on has a rubber piece...the rubber ring keeps on coming off..no matter what the tention is...which makes the blade come off...has any one had this trouble...i am thinking about just gluing the rubber on..but,i was also thinking if i glue it on and need to take it off it might be a mess...john

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: band saw question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:22:01 pm »
I was a power tool repairman for about 10 years and know this issue well. What you need is a new set of tires. That's what those rubber rings on the pulleys are called. When they get worn, they get loose and start coming off. You'll know once you get new tires and see how hard it is to get them on the pulleys. The secret there is to soak the new tires in some hot water and then put them on. The hot water expands the rubber enough to help a little.

Gluing them on is a very short term fix and can cause more problems down the road. Best to replace the tires; both of them, as a set.

Living a dream...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:23:32 pm »
 John, I had the same problem after the blade angle adjuster broke when the saw was two weeks old. I tried rubber cement, but it really doesn't work very good. It will start crawling back off again. Google Rigid Band Saws and a couple of sites will come up. You can pick up two new Tires fairly cheap. You need to replace both. And don't bother going to Home Depot or where ever you bought it, they are made in China and HD will give you an address to ship the saw to after you box it up.  If you can't find them let me know and I'll see if I can. Eddie
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:39:04 am »
I have had a really nice 18 in. band saw for the last 10 years.  I have recently moved and still have the band saw just no 220 power in the rental.  Went back to a small hewing hatchet,  quiet,  more accurate, strengthens the forearms, takes about 4 times as long, very little to go wrong, it seems I miss the band saw less and less every bow I rough out.
Chris

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:51:25 am »
 That's funny, Chris. I bought my bandsaw to work on bows butuse it mostly to cut tip overlays and notch knife blades for stone knives. I like my two flat sided hatchets more for shaping bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 03:38:57 am »
John, you need new tires. I put a new set on my old bandsaw a couple of years ago and it made a huge difference.
Gordon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:34:05 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH....I thought i better ask before gluing the rubber on...i am so greatfull i did..new tires it is....thanks john